ISU students continue to promote benefits of greek life

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

A group jumps into the pool at State Gym for the Polar Plunge on Friday, March 28, 2014, during Greek Week. The event was originally located at Lake LaVerne, but below freezing temperatures forced the plunge to move inside.

Tong Lin

Though the greek community has seen negative media attention during the last few weeks, members still defend their decision to get involved, saying there are multiple benefits of greek life. 

The greek community has been recognized as one of the biggest organizations at Iowa State University. 

A 2014 Gallup study found “graduates who participated in fraternities or sororities are slightly more likely to thrive in all five critical elements of well-being — purpose, social, financial, physical and community — than are graduates who did not participate in fraternities or sororities.” 

About 12 percent of all undergraduate students are members of the greek community and more than 2,200 students reside in greek chapter facilities.

Some join for the networking possibilities, to get involved with community service or to have a community of “brothers” or “sisters” to push them to get good grades. Some join to gain leadership experiences and get involved on campus, which is partly why Joie Hutchison, senior in communication studies and former chapter president of Alpha Omicron Pi sorority, said she joined. 

“I think it’s a way to get involved in a big campus. Being in the sorority has definitely pushed me to work harder on academics,” Hutchison said. “In order to have a good GPA, me and my ‘sisters’ encourage and help each other.”

The ISU sorority and fraternity community offers multiple opportunities to get involved in leadership, philanthropy and service while striving to reach academic achievements.

“The biggest thing my sorority gives me is the community itself. It really taught me how to work with different types of people in my leadership position,” Hutchison said. “A lot of people think that greek students are all the same or very similar, but actually we are really diverse even in my own chapter.” 

Hutchison also mentioned the biggest difference between the greek community and other on-campus organizations is the greek community tries to do everything based on values, including leadership, philanthropy, service and friendship. Other greek members say they like the historic connection of longstanding traditions that date back more than 100 years and involve up to millions of alumni. 

Many alumni are still involved with their greek chapter.

“They always tell us how sorority and fraternity [involvement] will not only last the four years of college, but [our] whole life,” Hutchison said of her experiences with alumni. “They know exactly how we are going through as participating [in] the greek community, so they guide us by their experiences.” 

Alumni are often involved in chapters either financially or personally as volunteers or leaders. Members have the opportunity to network with alumni around the nation.

Greek alumni, according to the Gallup study, show higher emotional attachment to their college or university. About 22 percent of alumni who were in sororities or fraternities feel more attached, compared to 17 percent who were not involved in greek life.

Negative stereotypes are sometimes associated with greek life. Fraternities and sororities are often seen as having linkage with hazing, partying and drinking.

“I definitely don’t think the stereotypes are true. We take academics really seriously. After joining in, I can find help with my homework from ‘sisters,’” said Yiyuan Zhang, freshman in communication studies and a member of the Alpha Omicron Pi sorority. “Also, we have strict drinking rules that we are not allowed to drink under any situation in [sororities in the] greek community.” 

Zhang is currently the only international student in Alpha Omicron Pi sorority. She was excited to talk about her experience in greek life.

“Joining the ISU greek community provided me the opportunity to meet many friends and become involved on campus,” Zhang said. “I got to learn a lot of American cultures and this will help me integrate into American life easier and faster.”

More information of the greek community can be found at www.greek.iastate.edu.