Office of Civil Rights to investigate Iowa State’s handling of sexual assaults, speak to students

Makayla Tendall

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights will be on campus next week, and students will have the opportunity to speak to them on how the university handles sexual assault investigations.

The Office of Civil Rights will conduct a site visit, which comes after announcing earlier this year that Iowa State is under investigation after a complaint about the university’s handling of a sexual assault allegation made by an ISU student against another student.

The assault in complaint occurred last spring, and the university has been under investigation since October.

“Since then, Iowa State has worked diligently to comply with OCR’s requests for information,” said President Steven Leath in an email to all students. “Iowa State University is committed to fully cooperating with the OCR’s investigation. This is an opportunity for the university to receive feedback regarding our sexual assault policies and procedures and to make improvements where necessary.”

The Office of Civil Rights will interview administrators and Iowa State employees who helped conduct the investigation of the sexual assault on April 20-22.

Students will also be allowed to attend a focus group with the Office of Civil Rights. Students selected for a focus group will receive another email today with details about their meeting.

Open office times to discuss the university’s handling of sexual assault will be available on April 21 and 22 for all other students, faculty, and staff  is available if they schedule a 15-minute meeting with Office of Civil Rights representatives.

To schedule an individual meeting, contact Sharon Zenor at 294-3577.

“I want to ensure that we are doing everything possible to maintain a safe and healthy campus environment. Iowa State is one of more than 100 colleges and universities under review by the OCR,” Leath said.