Celebration of campus art walk

Megan Moran

The art pieces that are featured in the art-walk on Wednesday, March 11, led by David Faux, are “Carom”, “Left-Sided Angel” and “Janus Agri Altar.” The celebration of campus art is the theme for this year’s art walk program.

“This semester and next semester are focusing on the theme of celebration. The celebration of the university museums 40th anniversary,” said Faux, university museums coordinator.

Art walks are designed for the community to take an hour out of their day to appreciate the art that is on campus. Art walks take place at noon once a month on a Wednesday. The first few art-walks this year focused on the celebration of the Grant Wood murals and Christian Petersen’s artwork.

This art walk focuses on the pieces located in Black Engineering building, Parks Library and Agronomy Hall.

“The Art and State Building is a legislation that happened in the 1970s, that the state of Iowa mandated that one half of one percent of all public funded building projects goes towards art,” Faux said.

The artwork that is chosen is site-specific meaning so that the piece will resonate with the environment it is put in. For example, Christian Petersen has a piece in the Food Science building called “The History of Dairying” so that students in the Food Science building can relate to the art.

“We [Iowa State] have the largest collection of public works of art of any college campus in the country,” Faux said. “We really want to try and expose students, faculty and staff to that art in a compelling way.”

“Carom,” by Bruce White, displays manipulation by bending, cutting, slicing and stressing one sheet of material. In “Left-Sided Angel,” by Stephen De Staebler, the angel represents the soul in contrast to the library, which represents knowledge. “Janus Agri Altar,” by Beverly Pepper, represents the Roman god of exits and entrances, which symbolically represents beginnings and endings, according to University Museums Art on Campus.