Taking caution: How ISU is keeping campus safe from hazardous materials

Vanessa Franklin

Iowa State boasts more than 1,700 laboratories on campus. Many of them house hazardous chemicals, harmful bacteria or other toxic materials, requiring stringent practices to keep campus safe.

Last November, a bioterror bacteria escaped from a Tulane University laboratory, causing two rhesus macaque monkeys from the Tulane National Primate Research Center in Louisiana to fall ill. The incident raised questions about laboratory safety on campuses nationwide. 

The bacterium, called burkholderia pseudomallei, is said to have escaped from a biosafety level 3 laboratory, which is the second highest containment level for labs. It is possible for the bacterium to spread to humans and animals through contact with contaminated soil or water.

Since then, eight monkeys have been exposed to the deadly bacteria. Two of the monkeys were unable to recover and were therefore euthanized. Burkholderia pseudomallei can cause an infectious disease in humans and animals called melioidosis, which causes symptoms such as loss of appetite, skin infections, cough, fever and joint pain.

The monkeys infected were not part of the experiments using the bacterium and should not have been in contact with the biohazard. Since the outbreak, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has ordered Tulane University to stop all experiments with burkholderia pseudomallei.

Although the investigation is still underway, the contamination is being attributed to sloppy lab procedures.

Here at Iowa State, lab safety is no monkey business. Iowa State’s environmental health and safety department is a service unit with a mission to “prevent illness and injury, protect the environment and connect the university to the message of safety and preparedness.”

“We’re a group of passionate professionals,” said Paul Richmond, director of the department. “Safety is just a part of the learning process, so if you’re not sure about something, call us. We have a staff that if we don’t know the answer to your question, we will find an answer and get back to you.”

The environmental health and safety department provides students and faculty with the Laboratory Safety Manual, which is designed to provide basic health and safety information. Each lab on campus has a specific set of its own standard operating procedures. According to the manual, each investigator or laboratory work group is required to assess all chemical, biological, radiological and physical hazards and describe the safety precautions necessary in order to avoid student or employee injury or exposure.

“The biggest thing that we do is that every single lab is supposed to have a standard operating procedure that is written down in their lab somewhere that explains if you’re working with this type of chemical, here’s what you’re supposed to do and here’s the [personal protective equipment] you’re supposed to be wearing to protect yourself,” said Aaron Brand, lab safety coordinator for the agronomy department.

Not only does the Laboratory Safety Manual outline a variety of emergency action plans, but Richmond said the department is frequently on campus inspecting the labs and lab equipment to ensure the safety of students and faculty.

“We always want to be working with students,” said Bethzayda Matos Carrion, laboratory safety manager for the environmental health and safety department. “We actually have over 40 courses that all students can access through our website.”

By visiting the website, students are able to access a variety of courses, both offered in the classroom and online, that teach everything from spill procedures to the monthly inspection of fire extinguishers.

Richmond said that with the sheer number of laboratories on campus, much of the emergency planning and training can be very specific to what types of things are being used in a particular lab. In addition to general training, the Laboratory Safety Manual says, “all laboratory personnel, including students, must receive laboratory-specific training.”

“We are also very involved on campus,” Richmond said. “We want to go out and engage with researchers and students so they can be safe within the lab.”

Richmond said he encourages students to use the environmental health and safety department as a resource and take lab safety seriously.

“The biggest thing about lab safety is just to make sure you’re taking the time to be safe,” Brand said.

To learn more about lab safety on campus, click here.