Mumford’s perform at the Ames Winter Classic

Courtesy of Student Union Board

Emily Benda

On Jan. 17, the Maintenance Shop will host the 4th Annual Ames Winter Classic featuring Mumford’s, along with other bands, Extravision, Trigger-Fish and MR NASTI. 

Mumford’s is an Ames-native band that has grown from a solo project to a multiple-man band complete with a horn section. 

“I just love playing with friends who are musicians and collaborating with people,” said Nate Logsdon, founder of Mumford’s. “We’re always recruiting new folks to be in the band and there’s always new people coming to town.”

Mumford’s write their own music and plan to debut two new songs this weekend, according to Logsdon. With multiple band members, Logsdon said collaboration plays a large part. 

“We’ve gotten really good at composition as a group, that’s one of the things I love about our current lineup,” Logsdon said.  

Playing along with Mumford’s is Extravision. Extravision is a group of Des Moines musicians headed by Ryan Stier of The River Monks and Annalibera.

“They [Extravision] are a local group and I think it’s important to support bands that come right out of Iowa,” said Natasha Porizkova, co-director of the Maintenance Shop.

Trigger-Fish from Ames High School and MR NASTI are also on the lineup for this year’s Ames Winter Classic.  

“They’re [Trigger-Fish] a unique band that has been together for quite a long time…the members of the band have a lot of passion for music and it really shows when they are performing,” said Eunice Kong, sophomore in biochemistry.  

“We gave Nate Logsdon the liberty to pick his own supporting acts. Nate gets bands that are local and that will draw a crowd,” Porizkova said. 

It’s going to be super diverse and super good line up,” Logsdon said. 

The Ames Winter Classic will start at 8 p.m. Jan. 17 at the M-Shop, and doors will open at 7:30 p.m. This is an all-ages show and free to the public.

“It’s going to be really fun, super sweaty and a rage…we love the M-Shop, we always play our best shows there,” Logsdon said.