Editorial: Be aware of holidays other than your own

“Merry Christmas.” We have grown accustomed to using this phrase when wishing someone well during the holiday season. To us, this may seem like a kind gesture because for many of us, Christmas is one of the most jolly times of the year and we just want people to feel the same happiness that we do during that time. While it is wonderful for people to want to spread the joy, it can be easy to forget that not everyone on the ISU campus celebrates the same religious holidays. 

While it is not suggested that you suppress your own religious beliefs and by saying something like “Happy Hanukkah” when you do not in fact celebrate Hanukkah, it is just polite to be mindful of the fact that not all of the students on the ISU campus, or in your own hometown celebrate the same holidays as you do. 

During the holiday season, the safest bet would be to wish someone well. This can help people from coming off in an offensive manor to anyone who celebrates a different holiday. 

The Iowa State Institutional Statement on Diversity states that “Iowa State celebrates and advances diversity by creating a safe place in which people can express themselves freely and share their unique talents. This diversity of talents enriches our campus by fueling creativity, innovation and success. Diversity encompasses acceptance and respect by fostering an environment of inclusion that moves beyond simple tolerance to recognizing the richness in individual identities of people.” 

We students of this great university should follow the guidelines for diversity that Iowa State has set out for us and practice acceptance and respect other students’ choices in religion and holiday preferences. 

When considering wishing someone a Merry Christmas this holiday season, remember that we are on a campus of students who come from all different backgrounds and lifestyles and we can all work together to better the university by becoming more accepting of peoples’ religious views and personal identities. 

Happy Holidays everyone.