ISU students share personal experiences with catcalling on campus, around Ames

Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

Catcalling, making a whistle, shout, or comment of a sexual nature to a person, usually a woman, passing by, happens on college campuses and around the country.

Michaela Ramm

“Hey baby!” said the complete stranger on the street to the woman walking home in the middle of the night. Sound romantic at all? Or perhaps just familiar? 

Catcalling is a shout, verbal comment or other noise usually directed toward a woman, and it is typically done by men in public areas.

Ashley Maitland, graduate assistant at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, said catcalling may stem from a larger overall issue that affects all people who identify as women. It is a feminist issue and a gender equity issue, she said, and has different aspects.

“I think the issue of catcalling can be viewed in a larger, systemic sexist issue,” Maitland said. “It’s the utilization of women’s bodies for sexual objectification simply by walking down the street. I think there’s something important to be said about how it incorporates systemic sexism, patriarchy and misogyny in the issue of objectifying women.”

The issue has been at the forefront of debates in recent weeks across the United States. Media segments and videos such as a woman being catcalled while walking the streets in New York City has sparked major controversy and left many wondering where the line needs to be drawn.

Maitland noticed the issue of catcalling has received more media attention as of late.

“I think [it] can be a good thing depending on the representation of it,” Maitland said. “I think it’s good it’s being talked about, as long as it’s being done in a correct and empowering way. There has been some issues regarding some people’s responses to people’s negative views against catcalling. There have been some responses that I don’t think is a good representation of feminist ideology.”

Maitland said she does not agree that catcalling is a compliment to women. However, she believes catcalling can be a very individualized experience for different people.

“My understanding and viewpoints of catcalling can be very different to other individuals,” Maitland said. “If one person does find catcalling to be a compliment, it’s not my right to tell them they’re incorrect. Obviously that’s their own opinion.”

Women on the receiving end of catcalling often do not enjoy the experience. In fact, many find it to be an attack on their persons.

“If you’re having sex, and she doesn’t say yes, then it’s rape,” said Rachel Schroeder, junior in psychology. “Catcalling is the same thing but on a different level. It’s totally one-sided because it’s you doing this to me. We’re not engaging in this together, it’s you attacking me.”

Like Schroeder, some women find catcalling to be offensive.

“Why is it not obvious that it’s offensive?” said Zoe Kustritz, junior in industrial design. “I just think that we’re even having a discussion about it is absurd.”

Catcalling doesn’t just happen in major cities. It happens in Ames and on the ISU campus as well.

Gabby King, junior in kinesiology and health, has experienced catcalling during her runs around Ames.

“There have been a few times where I’ve been running by construction workings or a group of guys, and they’ll just stare or make comments at me,” King said. “Even my roommate and I have talked about how we’ve had issues when we’re running with that kind of thing.”

King said she has changed her running route because the catcalling has made her uncomfortable. Other than a few instances, she has not had any other problems on campus.

Schroeder said she has heard of her friends’ experiences with catcalling around Iowa State.

“I had a friend who lived in the Towers,” Schroeder said. “So when she went out on the weekends she’d have to walk home to the Towers. That walk was always scary because guys would always shout at her.”

Women at Iowa State have not only experienced catcalling but other forms of verbal harassment throughout their time in college.

“My freshmen year I was at a party, and I was talking to someone about how I’m a swimmer,” Kustritz said. “The guy was like, ‘What stroke do you do?’ I thought about this before, and I really shouldn’t have said it, but I said, ‘I do the breaststroke.’ The guy was like, ‘I can see that.’ I was shocked. You can’t say that to me.”

Not only can women experience instances of catcalling and other forms of harassment on college campuses but throughout city businesses as well.

When not taking classes, Schroeder worked during the summer as a bartender at a country club in her hometown. She said it is often older men who make her uncomfortable.

“It’s a small community, and it’s still happening,” Schroeder said. “They have daughters my age or who I went to high school with. They all know it’s weird, but no one would ever say anything. No one would ever say, ‘That’s someone’s daughter.’ Even in the small town context, it’s [considered] fine. They get to do that.”

Schroeder said men try to come around the bar to touch her or talk about her in a sexual content. She also said that she refuses to wear revealing clothing while she serves alcohol to customers.

“I get told to smile a lot,” Schroeder said. “I’m doing my job wiping tables, clearing empty glasses off the bar, and they say, ‘You should smile.’ Why would I be smiling if I’m cleaning off your crap? I’m not enjoying myself.”

Schroeder said she feels like she’s just there to entertain male customers.

“My boss doesn’t hire men to work as bartenders,” Schroeder said. ”He knows he won’t sell as many beers or people won’t stay around as long because they’re older men, and they want to talk to the young, female bartenders.”

Maitland said the media attention usually makes catcalling or other sexually derogatory comments as an issue to the general public.

“I think for the most part there are some good conversations about catcalling and the negative implications it has,” Maitland said.

Maitland said it’s always important to be careful about viewing topics in the media.

“There is an understanding that you have to have a critical lens to look at what is produced by the media,” Maitland said. “Media has a huge impact in bringing topics to light, [but] I think there can also be some negative implications. It may not be used to gain attention in the right ways.”

Schroeder is one of multiple people who believe catcalling is a problem that needs to be addressed.

“Catcalling is bad. It shouldn’t happen,” Schroeder said. “The whole argument is that it’s a compliment to women and if the guys were better looking you wouldn’t be mad that it’s happening is B.S. It irks me.”

Women are not the only ones who feel this way. Men have also taken a stance against catcalling, calling it offensive and degrading.

Dylan Dolch, junior in agricultural studies, said he believes that it is wrong to catcall someone.

“It’s not right,” Dolch said. “I was raised to respect women as much as I respect men so I don’t agree with it. I wouldn’t want to a lady to do that to me, so I wouldn’t want to do that to a girl.”

Dolch said he has seen how some of his male coworkers treat women disrespectfully.

“In the ag industry, especially, I see it all the time,” Dolch said. “I work in Montana during the summer. I listen to people talk and say that they would much rather hire a girl to work so they could have something to look at. To me, that’s not right.”

Outlets on the Internet have made attacks on women anonymous and therefore more likely to happen.

Some ISU students have seen this happen online, including Kustritz.

“There’s so much hate on the internet,” Kustritz said. “That might be a factor to this discussion. I feel like every day I read a new article about some hate speech. I feel like it’s usually by the corners of Reddit.”

Unfortunately, attacks on women do not only happen through the Internet.

Maitland said the concept of catcalling can be linked to violence against women.

“With the objectification and sexualizing of women being the issue, I can see it happening,” Maitland said. “The messages that are shared within catcalling, it can and often does make women feel uncomfortable. I could agree that there is a link between those and how that forms with the systems of oppression in society.”

Dolch said he believes the sexualized society has a factor in this issue.

“I think our society has gotten very sexist,” Dolch said. “Today’s society has changed so much. What was deemed not okay 20 years ago is now deemed okay.”

Maitland said she thinks part of the issue could also be a component of one’s own sexualized being.

“People should have the freedom of their own sexual liberation,” Maitland said. “People are allowed to be sexualized beings in whatever way makes them comfortable. When it’s not their own choice, and when it’s uncomfortable for them, it’s the issue. People have made comments like, ‘If a woman is wearing a short skirt walking down the street, she’s asking me to comment.’ That’s not true.”

Like with all widespread issues, a solution is possible, she said. An end to catcalling and verbal harassment to women could be reached if efforts are made by both men and women.

Dolch said he was not sure how the issue will be addressed.

“There’s always room for change, but will it be deemed cool?” Dolch said. “I don’t know. Who knows where it’s going to go.”

Kustritz said she believes the millennial generation has the capacity for change.

Schroeder said she believes there has been a shift in difference between generations.

“I think our generation can change it,” Schroeder said. “It has been changing. I hope that we’ve been able to raise enough awareness that it can change.”