Cyclone Hockey’s Impact Freshman

Freshman Zack Johnson, forward, grabs the puck during the hockey game against Lindenwood. Iowa State suffered a 3-2 defeat against Lindenwood on Oct. 17 at the ISU/Ames Ice Arena and another loss on Oct. 18 of 2-1 in overtime.

Wally Gamon

Cyclone hockey has received help from unexpected players this season, both of whom hail from Minnesota. 

A five hour drive separates Moorhead and Rochester, the towns where freshman Jake Uglem and Zack Johnson are from, respectively.

With nine seniors graduating last season, Iowa State needed to fill the spots of those valuable players.

“They both filled holes that we lost through graduation,” Fairman said. “Some of our other freshman are still learning but they picked up our system early.”

What head coach Jason Fairman didn’t see coming this season was how big of an impact Johnson and Uglem would have on the game.

“I did not expect them to make such a big impact early on,” Fairman said. “I knew they had talent, but I didn’t expect this.”

Johnson has helped the Cyclones score by leading the team in goals with nine, while also tallying six assists on the season.

“Johnson came out of the gates pretty quickly,” Fairman said. “I think he is settling in more to what my expectations are now.”

On the other side of the ice, Uglem is a defenseman that brings a big presence and has improved in every game.

“Uglem has been solid for us,” Fairman said. “He has progressed every week and has had an impact early on.”

But for Zack Johnson and Jake Uglem, all they wanted this season was to make the lineup. 

“My expectations for the season were to keep playing and getting in the lineup every night,” Uglem said. “I want to play well and not make too many mistakes.”

Johnson echoed Uglem’s intent on limiting errors.

“As I freshman, I want to be in the lineup every night,” Johnson said. “I don’t want to make mistakes and I want to get better every game and grow as a player in the league.”

Both Johnson and Uglem have played in every game this season and have been named the Cyclone Hockey Player of the Week for their performances this season.

Being from Minnesota, a place some know as the “state of hockey,” they feel growing up there has helped their college transition.

“Minnesota is not a bad place to grow up playing hockey,” Johnson said. “Playing hockey is something you always did with your friends when growing up.”

Fairman is excited that he will have these players for a little while longer.

“I can see both of them being leaders,” Fairman said. “Their game is pretty sound now and it makes me feel better knowing that I am going to have these guys for hopefully three more years. It bodes well for our future.”