Students react to death of two ISU students in a week

It opens people’s eyes.

Trae Harris, junior in journalism, reacted to the deaths of two Iowa State students like many others: with disbelief and distress.

Two ISU students have been pronounced dead within a week, causing many students to grieve, whether they knew the deceased or not.

Tong Shao, junior in chemical engineering, was pronounced dead after her body was found in the trunk of a car in Iowa City following a two week investigation after she was reported missing by friends.

Another ISU student was pronounced dead when ISU Police were called to a University Village apartment around 6 p.m. Tuesday, after a roommate found the student unresponsive in the locked apartment.

Jerry Stewart, director of the Department of Public Safety, said that while the student was deceased before police and medical personnel arrived, foul play is not suspected. Stewart said the DPS will not release the student’s name until the family is notified.

While many students had not even heard of the second student death, they said Shao’s death is enough to send the ISU community reeling.

“I just heard about the [University Village resident’s] death from [the Daily],” Harris said. “I thought the death of Tong Shao was really crazy. That’s national news. It just shows that no matter where you are, even in Iowa, it’s not as safe [as you think].”

He said news such as this should make students more aware of their surroundings.

“It opens people’s eyes,” Harris said. “It makes people more aware of what’s really going on around campus and how short life can be.”

The Chinese Students and Scholars Association has planned a memorial for Shao at 7 p.m. Friday on Central Campus.

“Anybody who knew her, those people are not going to be able to think straight right now,” Miranda Redalen, freshman in open option, said about other international students who may be devastated by Shao’s death. “It’s going to affect their classwork and homework and exams that are going on right now.”

Not only are students viewing Shao’s death as a tragedy, but they are also dealing with the unexpected death of another ISU student, a situation where the student’s roommate found the deceased.

At Wednesday’s Government of Student Body meeting, senators had a moment of silence for both Shao and the recently deceased University Village student.

“I just really want to encourage you to take care of your fellow students and take time to ask them how they’re doing,” GSB President Hillary Kletscher told senators.

It’s difficult, Rigo Perez, sophomore in English, said about coping with the death of a student.

“There’s a certain atmosphere [to campus],” Perez said.

Perez lived in Wilson Hall last year, where a student committed suicide in the basement.

“Everyone was really scared to go down there,” he said. 

And he still lives in that residence hall.

“I remember every time I go down there,” Perez said.

All students who may need help with the grieving process are encouraged to visit Student Counseling Services.

Services are free and completely confidential. Students walk in to schedule an appointment from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Crisis appointments are available as need, said Tiffany Iskander, staff psychologist for Student Counseling Services.

There are counselors who speak Chinese at Student Counseling Services for Chinese students who wish to talk through their grief, Iskander said.

“When trauma or really sad and horrible things happen like the types of things that have happened, it’s really important to get support,” Iskander said.

Talking about issues out loud to a psychologist can help people process through thoughts, she said.

“It really helps them cope with their emotions, get some support, [learn] coping techniques and just know that they’re not alone,” Iskander said.

Though some students may be hesitant or feel ashamed to seek services, Iskander said it’s important to take the step and recognize that those concerns are understandable but unnecessary.

“I think that it does take a lot of courage to come to counseling,” Iskander said. “But I feel like the staff here does a really good job of normalizing that.”

She said the center sees a lot of students and that the hesitance to talk to a counselor is not uncommon, “especially when something like this happens.”

“I imagine that it can be hard for people, but nothing’s wrong with them and it’s actually quite brave to come in and seek help,” Iskander said.

Having friends who are understanding and attending professional counseling create the ideal support system, Iskander said.

“If you just know that this is affecting you and you think in any way it would be helpful to talk to someone, these people are really well trained to help through crisis situations,” Iskander said of the Staff and Student Counseling Services.

Redalen said the tragedies have taught her a lesson beyond simply helping other ISU students and international students cope with grief.

“A lot of people are going to realize that you don’t know when you’re going to die,” Redalen said. “Don’t live life like you’re going to live forever.”