Student Union Board to host Down and Dirty Swing Dance

Jason Speed

The Student Union Board’s special events committee will present the annual Down and Dirty Swing Dance on Sept 5.

Featuring live music by The Sentimental Swing Band, a local band, the swing dance will last from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Memorial Union.

The name represents that this event is fun and not very prim and proper. The dance will take place on the Memorial Union’s terrace, weather permitting. In case of rain, the dance will take place in the Sun Room.

From 8 p.m. until 8:30 p.m., the Cyclone Swing Society will give basic swing dance lessons. The group will stay throughout the night to help people swing dance.

The dance is completely free and open for both students and the general public.

“All the events under my committee are always free,” said Deanna Le, the Student Union Board’s special events director.

The event does not follow a strict dress code. It will give the community an opportunity to wear some of its nicer clothes, but it is not required.

Some may associate nice clothes with swing dancing, but the dance could be considered similar to a high school dance. While it may be similar to a high school dance, it’s not like prom or anything formal. It is a very low-key event and anyone can come and take part in it.

In the past, Ames community members who enjoyed swing dancing have come to this dance as well. Members of swing dance clubs in Ames often come to participate in the event.

The dance is usually very popular and at times there isn’t enough room on the terrace for everyone to do crazy dance moves.

“The Student Union Board is a programing board on Iowa State’s campus that provides a lot of events for the campus,” Le said. “People can volunteer for these things, get involved, get experience and have unique opportunities.”