City council plans for Dinkey Day

Makayla Tendall

Dinkey Day, housing and the Ames Public Library are up for discussion at the Ames City Council meeting Sept. 9.

The council will consider approving Ames 150 Committee’s request to close Welch Lot T, Chamberlain Lot Y and Welch Avenue between Chamberlain and Hunt streets from 1 to 11 p.m. for Dinkey Day.

It will also consider closing 45 metered parking spaces in the area and approving a waiver for a blanket vending permit.

The Dinkey Day celebration will take place Sept. 26 from 5 to 9 p.m. on the 200 block of Welch Avenue. The event is part of a yearlong celebration of the Ames’ 150 anniversary. The event will celebrate the iconic passenger train called the Dinkey that took students and professors from the city of Ames to campus on a circuit in the early 1900s when the city was two miles from campus.

The event will include a free concert, history exhibits, family activities and a soda fountain garden. There will also be a fun run along the former Dinky rail line. As a way to raise money lost by the cancellation of Veishea, some ISU student organizations will sell items at the event.

The council will discuss rezoning a 79-acre parcel of land north of Ada Hayden Heritage Park. As it stands, Quarry Estates LLC owns the land but is proposing the development of a residential subdivision that would be known as Quarry Estates.

Quarry Estates LLC is requesting a rezoning of 68.8 acres of the agriculture land to Ames Urban Fringe Plan housing. It is requesting that another 10.1 acres be rezoned to suburban, residential, medium-density land.

Before the land was annexed by the city in December 2013, the Ames Urban Fringe Plan designated the property for urban residential land use and watershed protection area because it was in the watershed of Ada Hayden Lake.

Development of the site will require approval of a conservation subdivision and a site development plan after approval of the rezoning request.

The council will also consider approving the closure of Douglas Avenue from Fifth Street to Sixth Street on Sept. 14 between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for the grand reopening of the library. A special event has been planned for the reopening.

City staff have already been working with CyRide staff to decrease the impact on the buses if the closure of Douglas Avenue is approved. CyRide will use an alternate route during that time.

Another event that will be discussed is the Ames High School Homecoming. The Homecoming Committee has requested permission to have the Homecoming parade downtown Sept. 15. The hourlong parade will begin at 6:30 p.m.

The committee requested that Pearle, Douglas and Clark avenues along with Main Fifth streets be closed from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.