Displaying their wares: ISU clubs exhibit goods at Cyclone Market, raise funds lost with Veishea

Michael Rowley/Iowa State Daily

Students and families examine glass work at the Gaffer’s Guild stand at the Cyclone Market on Sept. 7 at Richardson Court.

Cyclone Market, Iowa State’s own farmers market of sorts, showcased student clubs and organizations by providing them with an outlet for fundraising and outreach Sept. 7 at Richardson Court.

Cyclone Market, which took place for the first time this year, was established and executed by the Government of the Student Body and the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

Sam Schulte, GSB university affairs committee chairman, said planning for the event started in February. The event focused on student organizations instead of inviting outside vendors to campus.

“This is the first year, so we’re learning as we go along,” Schulte said. He added that the market included 23 different organizations and that coordinating with all of them took a lot of work.

The frequency of the event in the future will be determined by feedback from the vendors and the public.

Zaak Barnes, IRHA vice president, said that GSB came to the association late last school year after the cancellation of Veishea. GSB representatives lobbied for Cyclone Market funding in hopes of the event being a showcase for students. IRHA agreed that new avenues to fundraise and bring awareness to student organizations were needed in the absence of Veishea.

“They are really the ones who were hit hard,” Barnes said about student organizations after Veishea was cancelled.

According to Schulte, foot traffic was better than expected due to a Family Weekend brunch that was being hosted nearby at Conversations Dining.

Parents and students alike found the event interesting.

“It’s a pretty cool, neat idea,” said Sue Bravard, mother of Celia, senior in food science, and Emma, freshman in environmental science. “It looks like the students are really engaged.”

Moriah Morgan — a member of Team PrISUm, the ISU solar car team — was impressed with the number of visitors as well. She said the team’s projects are very reliant on funding from events like Cyclone Market. The chance for Team PrISUm to be seen in the community was important for the club.

“Outreach is huge,” Morgan said, adding that some passersby were very excited to actually see the solar-powered car and asked about it.

Team PrISUm, whose solar car traveled 1,700 miles this summer from Texas to Minnesota, had many onlookers stumped about what they were looking at.

“A lot of people have asked, ‘Is this a boat?'” Morgan said. “[That’s] great; we’re interested in getting the word out.”

Other organizations also used the market as a fundraising opportunity.

At the Geology Club booth, geodes and departmentally-made copper flowers were sold.

“People like to stop by and check [the booth] out,” said Katie Luzier, Geology Club member.

Luzier said that Cyclone Market is important to them financially. Events like this allow the club to plan more activities. She noted the club is able to add to its collection and plan trips with the funds.

Among these organizations, other groups present included Hope 4 Africa, the Dairy Science Club, Sigma Alpha, the American Meteorology Society and the Undergraduate Microbiology Club. Some of the more popular items showcased were T-shirts, small plants, vegetables, popcorn and fudge.

KURE attended and played music for the event, and Iowa State’s drum line performed at the market as well.