Student Health welcomes new changes

Kennedy Mason

Did you know your prescription information from the pharmacy at Thielen Student Health Center can be printed in 19 different languages?

The Student Health Center is making changes to the way things run to make it smoother and easier for the students.

The success of the two self-check-in kiosks put in place last year aided the decision to add two more this year.

According to Anne Long, systems analyst at the Student Health Center, 89.7 percent of student appointments were checked in by the kiosks between Sept. 13 and 19.

“On a busy week, we see anywhere from 600 to 800 patients,” said Laura Knowles, program coordinator at the Student Health Center.

When students have a prescription ready for pick-up, they can now get a text notifying them that it’s ready.

In addition, students who have quick questions and don’t want to make an appointment can now have them answered easily.

“[Students] can call and talk to a nurse,” Knowles said. “They may not be readily available, but they can call you back.”

“The average call back time is about an hour,” Knowles said. She said it is something in which they really pride themselves.

“We do walk-in flu shot clinics on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so students don’t have to make an appointment, they can just come in and get a flu shot,” said Samantha Boyd, communications specialist for the Student Health Center.

Thielen Student Health Center really is all about the students and is constantly making efforts to better itself for the students’ benefits.

“We do work well with the local providers and the local specialists. It’s all about increasing our accessibility and our availability as much as we can,” Knowles said.