Students in CALS face off for title, fundraise

Danielle Ferguson/Iowa State Dai

The winner of Mr. CALS, Drew Mogler, represented the ISU Ag Business Club. Many joined in to watch at the Hansen Agricultural Student Learning Center on Sept. 29.

Dylan Roth

An ISU student’s rendition of “Fat-Bottomed Girls” may have been the reason he won the Mr. CALS competition on Sept. 29.

Male students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences competed in the second annual Mr. CALS competition in hope of being crowned Mr. CALS 2014.

Drew Mogler, junior representing the ISU Ag Business Club, was named Mr. CALS 2014. Carl Frame, sophomore representing the Block and Bridle Club, was named Mr. Congeniality.

“The event is unique because of the fact that it is men rather than women. The event is a bunch of fun because most of the contestants know each other,” Mogler said.

The first half of the competition was the three categories of evening wear, calendar boys and dress your major.

Five judges determined the scoring. Mr. CALS was determined by an overall score while Mr. Congeniality was determined by the personality score.

Contestants could also earn points from audience members giving money to their donation box. During intermission, contestants ran through the crowd pleading for audience members to add to their donations and increase their score.

The event raised $2,362.85. That’s more than $1,400 more than the Mr. CALS competition raised last year.

Money and canned food collected at the front door benefited the Emergency Residence Project. The Emergency Residence Project provides shelter to the homeless and helps to prevent individuals from becoming or remaining homeless.

Outfits ranged from the ordinary to the bizarre. At one point, Mogler came on the stage dressed as a strip of bacon.

Many outfits incorporated props. For instance, outfits during the calendar boys category included a leaf blower to represent autumn and fake snow to represent winter.

The dress your major category required contestants to wear an outfit pertaining to their future careers. The master of ceremonies announced the contestants’ fields of study and fun facts during this category of the competition.

The top five scorers from the first half of the competition moved on the lip sync portion of the competition. Lip sync is a new addition to the event this year.

Taylor Lewis, junior in agricultural studies and co-chair for the Mr. CALS competition, said the lip sync portion of the evening was added to prolong the event which only lasted 45 minutes last year.

Mogler was of one of the five contestants that reached the lip sync round. His performance of Queen’s “Fat-Bottomed Girls” produced the loudest roar from the crowd during the night.

Contestants also had to answer questions asked by the judges, such as, “What do you think is the biggest problem facing the future of agricultural studies?” and “If you were a kitchen appliance, which one would you most want to be?,” which forced contestants to generate quick responses.

Contestants regularly interacted with the judges and audience.

“We can go out there and make people laugh, smile and just have a good time,” said Michael Knight, junior in agriculture communication.

Each club in the CALS chose one member to represent that particular club. Some larger clubs chose two members to participate in the competition. A total of 30 contestants representing 23 clubs participated in the evening’s festivities.

“I’m excited about all the hard work that everyone put into this and what the guys brought to the competition,” Lewis said.

Lewis is an organizer of the Mr. CALS competition and a member of the Sigma Alpha sorority, a professional women’s sorority at Iowa State. She said one goal of the Sigma Alpha sorority was to further the development of excellence in women pursuing careers in agriculture.

Prior to the event, Mogler said that he hopes the Mr. CALS competition will show Iowa State students how close-knit and supportive of fellow students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences are.

“The event gives people a little different perspective. People will realize that we are not just students who go back and farm. There are a lot of different aspects of agriculture than people don’t necessarily think of,” Knight said.