Top five things to look for against Kansas State

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Freshman wide receiver Allen Lazard prepares for the play during the North Dakota State game Aug. 30 at Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclones fell to the Bison 14-34. Lazard had 48 receiving yards for Iowa State.

Alex Gookin

1. Offensive line — Iowa State is expecting to see Tom Farniok back on the field against the Wildcats, but with right tackle Jacob Gannon leaving the team on Sept. 4, the line still has question marks. Redshirt freshman Jake Campos will likely step into Gannon’s role, and coaches have spoken highly of him, but with the questionable health of Farniok, all eyes will be on the line.

2. Special teams — Not much went right for the Cyclones against North Dakota State — except special teams. Freshman punter Colin Downing had three punts of 50+ yards in his career debut. Despite only returning two kicks and two punts, both units recorded a return of at least 20 yards. If the game ends up close, special teams could play a big role.

3. Allen Lazard and D’Vario Montgomery — Allen Lazard will be making his first career start in place of injured Quenton Bundrage, but Cyclone fans already saw what he was capable of with a 48-yard reception against North Dakota State. Montgomery will see the field for the first time this year, and with both Lazard and Montgomery listed at 6-foot-5-inches, they are the biggest targets on the field.

4. Tyler Lockett — Keep an eye on No. 16 for Kansas State. The senior is one of the best receivers in the nation and will likely draw a lot of attention from Cyclone defenders, creating opportunities for other receivers. 

5. Running backs — The Cyclones ran the ball 26 times against North Dakota State, but only 11 of those carries came from the duo of Aaron Wimberly and DeVondrick Nealy. Coach Paul Rhoads said he was working on balancing the carries between the backs and if the line stays healthy, they will likely see the ball more.