Ames City Council debates issues

Molly Willson

The Ames City Council will be discussing events and task forces at Sept. 23’s City Council meeting.

The council will also vote on a detour agreement for 2015 Bridge Deck Overlay on Highway 30 over Highway 69, which is South Duff Avenue. This agreement will result in the east and westbound ramps to get on Highway 30 from South Duff being closed four to six weeks beginning May 15, 2015.

The Campustown Action Association’s third Friday Afternoon Celebration was canceled due to rain Aug. 29. The Association is now asking for approval of the event to take place Oct. 10 to coincide with Homecoming. This approval would include closing Welch lot T from noon to 11 p.m. 

The Alumni Association’s ExCYtement in the Streets plans to have a glow run Oct. 4, starting at the Alumni Center that will go through the Greek community and back to the Center. Event members are asking for permission to close certain streets within the route.

The Campustown Action Association is asking for certain roads and areas within the greek community to be closed the following weekend for the Homecoming festivities. The association also asks for a fireworks permit for Oct. 10 to put on a grounds display held on Central Campus at midnight.

The council will also discuss beginning a Student Affairs Commission to decide if a task force is needed between the Government of the Student Body at Iowa State and City Council for issues that arise throughout the year.

Hillary Kletscher, president of Government of the Student Body, and Ames Mayor Ann Campbell would lead the task force. Appointed students and community members would make up the task force.

The council plans to vote on the renewal of many establishments in Ames. Some student and community favorites will be up for renewal including La Fuente Mexican Restaurant, Hickory’s Hall, Doc’s Stop, AJ’s Ultra Lounge, K-Mart and four Hy-Vee locations. Olde Maine Brewing Company at the ISU Alumni Center will also be applying for four liquor licenses for separate dates.