Police identify body as ISU student Tong Shao

Isd Staff

The Iowa City Police Department identified the body it found Friday night in the trunk of a car as that of Tong Shao, a 20-year-old ISU international student.

Shao’s death is being treated as suspicious. The cause of her death is yet to be released.

Shao had been reported missing Sept. 18, a week after friends had last heard from her.

Shao had gone to Iowa City for the weekend of Sept. 6 and 7 to visit her boyfriend in Iowa City. A text message from her boyfriend’s phone was sent to Shao’s friends in Ames saying that Shao was messaging from his phone and that her phone was broken.

According to a press release from the Iowa City Police Department, Xiangnan Li is being sought as a person of interest in the case who may have information on the circumstances of Shao’s death. Li was a known associate of Shao.

Li and Shao had been Facebook friends with Li commenting on a photo of Shao as early as Aug. 25, saying “tired of all that beauty Tong Tong,” which is translated by the Facebook translation tool. 

KCRG reported that during a traffic violation last February in Coralville, Iowa, Li gave the same address as the one listed for Shao on the Iowa State student directory.

According to the press release, police have reason to believe Li, Chinese international student at the University of Iowa, has returned to China but are still awaiting official confirmation.

The Iowa City Police Department is continuing to investigate along with the Ames Police Department, Federal Bureau of Investigations and other organizations.

Iowa City Area CrimeStoppers is offering a reward of up to $1000 for information that leads to the arrest of the suspect. CrimeStoppers can be contacted anonymously at 358-8477 or online at www.iccrimestoppers.org.

Xilu Wang, Iowa State’s Chinese Students and Scholars Association president, said he did not wish to give a comment on Shao’s death at this time. 

ISU President Steven Leath said in a press release that while he is saddened, he realizes the investigation will continue.

“We were saddened to learn just after 5 p.m. Monday that the body of a young woman found in Iowa City is that of Tong Shao, an Iowa State junior who was majoring in chemical engineering. Since she was reported missing, members of the Iowa State community had been concerned for her safety and well-being. We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends, both here and in China. She will be missed by all. We appreciate the hard work of the Ames, Iowa City and Iowa State University Police departments, as well as other law enforcement agencies, and understand that their investigation continues,” Leath said.