Editorial: Support, be proud of every event in Cy-Hawk Series

Sophomore forward Koree Willer runs toward the goal during the Cy-Hawk Series game against Iowa on Sept. 5. The Cyclones defeated the Hawkeyes 2-1.

During the weekend, the ISU volleyball team knocked off the University of Iowa for the 10th consecutive time, giving Iowa State a dominant 7-0 lead in the Cy-Hawk Series. With that feat, it was the first time since the series was started in 2004 that a school has won the opening three sports.

ISU soccer kicked off the Cy-Hawk season with a 2-1 victory against Iowa, in front of a record-breaking crowd on Sept. 5. Iowa State bounced back after being down 1-0 early and gave the Cyclones a 2-0 lead in the Cy-Hawk Series. It was their first win against the Hawkeyes since 2005.

Then there was the trip to Iowa City for the football team. Underdogs going into the marquee event in the Cy-Hawk Series, the Cyclones again overcame the deficit and defeated the Hawkeyes 20-17. Iowa State claimed three points, as per Cy-Hawk Series rules, and gained a 5-0 lead in the series.

After the volleyball’s victory, Iowa State swept Iowa and now sits ahead 7-0 in the Cy-Hawk showdown. But as we dive deeper into the season, we mustn’t forget the remaining 10 events where Iowa State will challenge its in-state rival.

As ISU students, we have to take pride in all sporting and academic events. On May 8, the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series will tally its final event: academics. When graduation rates are released in October, both schools have a chance to earn one point. The school can earn that point by having the graduation rate of student-athletes exceed the overall student body graduation rate.

There’s more to the matchup than just football and basketball, though. Obviously, soccer started off strong in front of 2,090 fans who spent part of their Friday night as part of a record-breaking crowd. A trip to Peoria, Ill., to watch the cross country teams Nov. 14 might be hard for some fans and students, but it may be worth the trip. The women’s cross country team is ranked No. 9 in the nation and the men are No. 26.

The women’s basketball team approaches record-breaking numbers in terms of attendance each year. The men’s basketball team is poised for a deep run into the NCAA tournament and plays with some of the best teams in the nation. The swimming and diving teams are coming out of their first match and victory against Iowa last year and will be looking to continue their success.

All teams at Iowa State possess potential conference and national championship athletes. These athletes are building national championship-caliber teams at the university. As members of Iowa State, we need to invest our interest, time and knowledge into all of the sports, not just football and basketball.

There is more of which to be proud at Iowa State than a week of football frenzy and then forgetting about the rest of the Cy-Hawk Series. Invest your time in those other sports and academics — be a part of that pride.