How to not look like a freshman

Sam Vander Forest

If you ask any upperclassman at Iowa State — or any college for that matter — what the obvious signs of a freshman are, they’ll be able to tell you right away. Looking and acting like a freshman isn’t all that bad since you have that eager excitement just starting out, but there are some habits you should kick before you head to your first day of classes.

First things first, ditch the red string bag you got at orientation or Destination Iowa State. String bags are great inventions and can be useful, yes, but you’ll be spotted as a freshman before you even get to your first class. Don’t just throw it away though. It will come in handy in your life, like all string bags, but just wait until you’re clear of the freshman title.

Next biggest thing is to not bury your face in a big map your first week of classes. One thing you can do is to download an electronic map of campus, or even use Google Maps. Being the kid walking to class with his face buried in a map isn’t a great image you want early on, so find ways around that. You can even walk to your classes the day or two before they start so that you are ready in advance. If you don’t feel like telling people you’re doing that, then just tell them you’re exploring the campus because, let’s face it, it is really nice. Anything to help you transition into college life more easily is a good thing.

The last thing, and a lot of people’s favorite thing to do, is to upgrade to college clothing. This one is easy and enjoyable because it’s nice to be proud of your school. The University Book Store in the Memorial Union has everything you might need to show your ISU pride, and Iowa State has a great mascot and colors. Besides, no one in Ames ever questions someone who’s sporting a Hilton Magic shirt.