Need to Know: Places to go, things to do

Cars sit parked outside Jack Trice Stadium on Aug. 30, 2017, where the incident Saturday took place.

Andrea Dahl

While Ames can seem like just another Iowa town surrounded by farm fields, there is always something happening around the Cyclone village. From events around campus to activities throughout Ames, the following are some of the best places to check out.

Reiman Gardens

A 17- acre university-owned public garden, Reiman Gardens is located south of Jack Trice Stadium and is free to Iowa State students. The public garden offers an indoor conservatory, an indoor butterfly wing and a dozen garden areas. It hosts many events and lectures, and It is open year round.

Jack Trice Stadium

Whether you are a die-hard football fan or are just looking for a fun weekend activity, catch a game at Jack Trice. The 2018 season features seven home games and full-time Iowa State students can purchase a season ticket for $125 and add it to their Ubill.

Main Street

If you just need a break from campus life, make the short trip over to Main Street. Offering coffee shops, boutiques and other stores, shopping locally can be a fun way to destress and hang out with your close friends.

Hiking

Iowa may not have any majestic mountains, but there are still plenty of opportunities for hiking enthusiasts to get out into nature. In the Ames area there are many parks located around the Skunk River, including River Valley Park, Inis Grove Park, Ada Hayden, Petersons Pits and McFarland Park. A short drive away is Ledges State Park, located near Madrid, as well as Hickory Grove Park, located in Nevada.

Performing arts

For our artistic side, ISU Theatre features a variety of plays and performing arts. Also, C.Y. Stephens auditorium hosts many performances, including musicals, concerts and lectures.

Museums

If you are looking for somewhere to go for a quiet break, the Christian Petersen Art museum, located in Morrill Hall, and the Brunnier Art Museum, located in the Scheman Building, are true gems on the Iowa State campus and offer galleries of decorative art.