Hillary Kletscher addresses ISU issues at first GSB meeting

Jessica Darland/Iowa State Daily

Hillary Kletscher, president of the Government of the Student Body and graduate student in business administration, addresses various issues pertaining to the ISU community at the GSB meeting Aug 27.

Makayla Tendall

Many of the issues facing ISU students this academic year were discussed at the first Government of the Student Body meeting.

Hillary Kletscher, GSB president, opened the meeting with an address about issues from the past semester, including repercussions of the events surrounding Veishea and the Bike Share Program.

Kletscher spoke of the university’s interest in creating a new university-wide showcase event. The university has no clear idea of what that event would constitute. The university does not want to schedule an event for the spring and there is no decision on when that event would take place.

“Hopefully you’ve all heard that Veishea has been canceled,” Kletscher said. “We all have a lot of ideas and preconceived notions about what a university-wide showcase should look like.”

Kletscher, who served on the Veishea Task Force, asked senators to request feedback from the students they represent and what they would like to see from a university showcase.

Another program on this year’s agenda is the Bike Share Program, which would allow students to check out a bike from a point on campus and return it at another point. Members of the committee are working on clearing up the business aspects of the program, Kletscher said. Members of the bike share committee are working with university and city officials on the program.

In addition, Kletscher and Lissandra Villa, ex-officio City Council liaison, worked with city officials on the possibility of a bike lane on Welch Avenue.

Sexual assault is a another issue sweeping across college campuses and gaining more attention from university administrators and leaders.

Iowa State, Kletscher said, is no exception.

The White House’s “It’s On Us” campaign is calling attention to sexual assault on college campuses. Kletscher attended a conference in Washington D.C. with other public university student leaders to learn about the campaign. The conference focused on the importance of bystander intervention to combat sexual assault before it occurs rather than after an assault takes place.

Kletscher said the parking division has agreed to open up 13 new vendor spots and 85 meter spots that were previously restricted during weekdays.

Kletscher said GSB will be sending out emails and social media requests for resumes and applications for those interested in filling one of the nine available justice positions.