Student Union Board begins year with review of committees, events

Jason Speed

The Student Union Board had its first general meeting of the year on Aug. 27, which introduced each committee on the board.

The meeting began with a questionnaire provided by the president for everyone. The question asked members what kind of prize they would want a chance to win toward the end of the semester. Groups of students discussed their ideas for prizes and had a limit of less than $1,000. Everything from a moped to a Playstation 4 was suggested.

Following the prize ideas, the various committees were represented by their directors and a co-directors. The public relations committee director explained what its members do, which is to maintain the board’s presence on social media.

The director of the varieties committee described the committee’s position and explained its creation in 1931. Originally it was developed as cheap entertainment during the Depression.

The Cyclone Cinema committee informed the audience of the first two weeks of shows. Cyclone Cinema shows movies every weekend at 7 and 10 p.m. at Carver Hall. Starting Aug. 28 and continuing through Aug. 30, “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” will be available for viewing.

The special events and national events committees described their committees’ activities and duties. They both are responsible for finding acts to come to campus and perform. Special events and national events committees host some of their shows at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union.

The performing arts committee also brings in performers, but its focus is the Maintenance Shop. On Sept. 4 and 9, Adam Cayton-Holland will be performing at the M-Shop. Open Mic Night is set for Sept. 9 at 8 p.m. at the M-Shop.

The final committee, the multicultural awareness committee, has The Mystical Arts of Tibet coming from Sept. 22 to 25. During that time, monks will create a sand mandala at the Memorial Union’s main lounge.

For further information and ticket prices, visit sub.iastate.edu.