Editorial: Welcome new big businesses to Campustown

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Construction in Campustown continues July 23. The building on the corner of Welch Avenue and Lincoln Way was torn down earlier in the spring. A CVS Pharmacy and other businesses will replace it.

Unless you spent the first day of school hiding under a rock, you may have noticed that there is some serious construction happening in Campustown. Some students are sad to see the old places that lingered on the frontlines of Campustown completely demolished, while others are looking forward to the new places to come. 

The transition into the new Campustown is not something to be afraid of — it is something we should embrace. Before construction workers broke ground in Campustown, the Lincoln Way view of the street was full of empty shops that were not being used, such as a used clothing shop and a bar. Not too much has been lost when we consider all that is going to be gained. 

The history of Campustown is rich with evolving shops, bars and restaurants, and we have never had such a drastic change in the area happen all at once. The change, although large and daunting, does not have to be intimidating. The new places coming to Campustown will be based around student life and our needs.  

Soon the face of Campustown will have a CVS Pharmacy, an apartment complex and more dining areas. Although this may not benefit seniors right away, underclassmen and incoming freshmen will have plenty of time around the new and improved Campustown.

The holes in the ground may be an eyesore right now, but think of all of the potential businesses that may come once it is finished. Kingsland properties is one of the largest companies that will be expanding in the area, and although it is not a bar or restaurant, it still has plenty to offer.

If students are able to receive internships in the Ames area, it seems pretty lucky. Kingland Systems will be offering students internships right in our university’s backyard. Students will have the opportunity to both work and go to school at the same time. Getting internship experience sounds as though it would be beneficial for all students and is something we have to look forward to.

Having a CVS Pharmacy in Campustown means groceries will be close by. When Campustown first started planning to make changes, there was a survey and students said that they would like to have a drugstore in Campustown so it would be easier for students to get groceries without cars.

If you spent some of the first day of school in a dining hall or the Memorial Union, then you are probably fully aware of the time it takes to get through the lunch line is too much, partly because of record enrollment this year. This will hopefully not be such a strong issue when the new restaurants start popping up in Campustown. Having places that are cheap and close for students to get food will be very convenient and something we can anticipate.

Lastly, one of the largest structures that will be going up in the new Campustown area will be the 23 Twenty apartment complex that will be going up on the corner of Lynn Avenue and Lincoln Way. Enrollment seems to be on the rise and shows no signs of slowing down in the near future; therefore, having more housing going up in Ames is a good sign, especially when it is happening so close to school.

When we walk by and look at the empty holes that were once some of the oldest buildings in Ames, we must remember the history that the area has, but we should also look forward to the changes that lie ahead. These changes will hopefully give Iowa State as well as Campustown a more appealing face for future students.

It is time to embrace the change in Campustown.