ISU women’s basketball keeps four starters, seeks ninth-straight NCAA tournament

Alex Gookin

Under the direction of Bill Fennelly, the ISU women’s basketball team has established itself as one of the top programs in the nation with 15 NCAA tournament appearances in his 19 years as head coach. 

The Cyclones made their way back to the tournament in 2014, their eighth straight appearance in the big dance. Led by Hallie Christofferson, 2014 graduate, the Cyclones started the season 14-0 — a school record — before finishing 20-11.

With Christofferson graduated and signed to a WNBA contract with the Phoenix Mercury, the ISU team will rely heavily on Jadda Buckley and Seanna Johnson, both sophomore guards. The duo collected eight Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors last season, and both made the All-Freshman team.

Buckley and senior Nikki Moody will likely share duties operating the offense at point guard while players like Johnson and Fallon Ellis will be valuable post players.

The Cyclones have long been considered one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the nation, hitting a 3-pointer in 612 consecutive games dating back to 1995, an NCAA record. Junior Nicole “Kidd” Blaskowsky and senior Brynn Williamson will be key contributors on the perimeter next season after the Cyclones led the Big 12 in 3-pointers per game last season.

Iowa State also has a tradition of one of the best home environments in the nation. Cyclone fans packed Hilton Coliseum to finish second in the nation for average attendance for the second straight season. The Cyclones defeated Texas last season in front of more than 13,000 fans for the highest attendance mark since 2004.

The team will also welcome five freshman who signed with the Cyclones in November 2013. With Christofferson being the lone starter leaving last year’s team, Iowa State will be searching for its ninth-straight NCAA tournament appearance.