President Leath, students become a part of Cardinal Key Honor Soceity

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

Government of the Student Body President Hillary Kletscher signs the Cardinal Key membership book as she is inducted into the Cardinal Key Honor Society during the annual induction ceremony at the Reiman Ballroom in the Alumni Center April 13. Kletscher was one of 63 students inducted, along with four faculty members and President Steven Leath.

Madisun Vangundy

Sixty-three students and four faculty and staff members, including President Steven Leath, were inducted into Cardinal Key, Iowa State’s top honor society, on April 13. The induction ceremony was held at the Alumni Center in the Reiman Ballroom from 3:30 to 5 p.m.

“It’s a great class. Every single one of them has done something great on campus,” said Ben Jacobson, president of Cardinal Key Honor society.

The keynote speaker at the ceremony was President Steven Leath. He was also an inductee.

Leath said he was honored and pleased to be inducted because the more time he can spend with the other inductees, the more he can learn from them and the more he can teach them.

Cardinal Key was founded in 1926 to recognize outstanding leaders at Iowa State.

It recognizes members at Iowa State whose leadership in university activities has been exemplary, whose scholarship is of high standing, whose character is above reproach and whose service to the university community has been outstanding, according to Cardinal Key’s website. These qualities are called the four cardinal virtues.

At the induction ceremony, a career achievement award was given to Stephen Barnhart, professor of agronomy.

Jacobson said the career achievement award goes to a faculty or staff member who has shown the four cardinal virtues throughout his or her career at Iowa State and is also close to retirement or has retired.

Tom McGee, vice president of ceremonies, said that Dr. Barnhart retired a few months ago after 39 years of service at Iowa State with 35 years as a professor of agronomy. He won numerous awards throughout his career for his excellence in agronomy and for his services and achievements through the university extension program.

Leath’s keynote focused on inspiring the new inductees to aspire for greatness and become the leaders that Iowa State needs. He also talked about who inspired him and how his role models helped him along the way.

“Think as big as you can and never hesitate,” said Leath. He emphasized how leaders shape Iowa State.

“We saw some issues with Veishea this week, where we need great leaders,” Leath said.

“Don’t forget who you are, where you came from, everybody who’s helped you along the way and when you get there, don’t forget to help them get there too,” Leath said.

New members are inducted into Cardinal Key once a year every spring. The number of inductees is limited to no more than half of one percent of the senior class, and one third of one percent of the junior class.

Students to be in Cardinal Key were sent an email asking them to complete an application. This year, Cardinal Key received 245 applications.

Students were then interviewed by the executive committee, comprised of eight students and one adviser. Faculty and staff must be nominated by a Cardinal Key member to be inducted.

Students must have GPA of 3.0 or higher, be a junior or senior undergraduate and have exemplified the Cardinal Key’s four virtues.

“We’re very proud of them. They’ve had a wonderful experience at Iowa State,” said Dennis Bader, father of inductees Kara and Kimbra Bader.

Pam Bader said she and her husband are very grateful to their daughters’ professors for the help, encouragement and guidance they have given.

Jacobson said he hopes Cardinal Key will develop into a more social group and not just an honor society.

Cardinal Key is the oldest honor organization on campus. It is also exclusive to Iowa State.

“My hope and my goal is that students meet together more and actually discuss some of the issues that are taking [place on] campus,” Jacobson said.