Letter: Apologies are due after riot ends Veishea

Aaron Mostrom, Graduate, Originally From Ames

After reading about the events that transpired late April 8, I have only one thing to say: I’m sorry.

To the residents of Ames: Growing up, I loved watching the parade each year and seeing the heritage of our beloved university so proudly displayed on Central Campus. I’m sorry you and your children may never be able to share that again.

To those involved in the week’s festivities: I’m sorry the despicable actions taken have ruined your hard work. From the planning committee to the float builders to the members of the Stars Over Veishea production and beyond, each of you has put in countless hours to create something that can no longer be enjoyed by others.

And last, but certainly not least, to the thousands and thousands of innocent students: While I loved Veiseha growing up, I didn’t learn to truly treasure it until I became a student. I’m sorry to see this taken from you, especially those looking forward to your first Veishea, and that all of you will be unfairly associated with its very possible demise.

I have always been and will always be proud to be a Cyclone, but that doesn’t make it easier to answer questions from others about why this happened. President Leath stated it perfectly: “This time it was us.” Those responsible may be students at Iowa State, but they are not Cyclones. These are not the actions taken by “loyal sons forever true.” If Veishea is ever brought back, I hope we will all do a better job of remembering what can happen if the privilege is abused and — more importantly — that this is no way to repay the city that does so much for its university. Moving forward, Veishea or no Veishea, there is much work to be done to repair our tarnished image, but we will make it happen. Because “when we hit that line we’ll hit it hard, ev’ry yard for I. S. U.”