Letter: On-campus social drinking could end riots

After hearing about President Steven Leath’s decision to end all Veishea activities I was in shock. It didn’t make sense to me as a college student why the president would cancel the event over the actions of outside visitors who do not espouse our Veishea values.

His actions and the actions of his administration proved again and again that they favor being not liable for the actions of students. But his actions will directly hurt those who seek to enjoy Veishea in a manor that doesn’t include binge drinking off campus. Those students, with nothing left to do, are ostracized for maintaining civility and are now forced to find entertainment elsewhere off campus. Combined with a greater number of visitors this weekend, this will culminate into greater mobs and potentially a bigger riot.

If he truly cares for the students he represents, he wouldn’t have canceled the events. President Leath must acknowledge that college students will drink no matter the ramifications; to ignore this would be ignorant. I call upon President Leath to acknowledge this blatant truth and to take greater action next year.

The campus should provide students a place to drink socially on campus during Veishea in a controlled environment so students aren’t forced into the “wild west” off campus. Being able to provide oversight to students will allow greater control of alcohol consumption, better access for paramedics, and help ensure student safety upon returning home. President Leath, I ask you to take a stand for the greater good of our students and make a drastic change in policy for future Veisheas.