Letter: GPSS President Anna Prisacari reflects on the year

As the 2013-14 academic year and my presidential term draw to a close, I want to take a moment to reflect upon Graduate and Professional Student Senate’s accomplishments this year.

In this academic year, GPSS hosted its first annual graduate orientation and its first Graduate and Professional Student Research Conference, revised the Professional Advancement Grant policies, improved the efficiency of GPSS meetings, worked with the Graduate College to establish the Graduate Writing Center, evaluated Government of the Student Body-GPSS student activity fee split ratio and developed a new GPSS website.

Certainly, everything that was accomplished was only made possible with the help and support of the people around me. I readily give credit to the GPSS Executive Council, GPSS members, students who served on various university committees, faculty and staff and many others who have contributed to the success of GPSS.

GPSS realizes the importance of students networking and interacting outside their home department. That’s why this highly successful year has also been the product of extensive collaboration between GPSS, ISU administration and other organizations. Thanks to the generous donations and support from all the colleges and the office of the senior vice president and provost, GPSS hosted its First Graduate and Professional Student Research Conference on April 4, 2014, where more than 150 graduate and professional students presented their work to our campus and community.

With the support of the division of student affairs, GPSS hosted several professional development events that offered an additional opportunity for students to interact with ISU faculty and staff members. Also for the first time, the GPSS collaborated with the ISU Postdoctorate Association on several events, allowing graduate and professional students to interact with their future colleagues.

As GPSS continues its commitment to represent and serve all graduate and professional students, I would like to welcome the GPSS President-elect Arko Mukherjee and the new executive council. It has truly been an honor for me to be a voice for 5,296 graduate and professional students this past year as the president of the GPSS. Now, although I feel exhausted from the time and effort I put in, I can proudly say it was all worth it. Being a student leader at Iowa State is highly rewarding, and the opportunity to serve in such an influential role has been very fulfilling.