Veishea 2014 canceled, injured student in stable condition

Dominic Spizzirri/Iowa State Daily

During a press conference, President Steven Leath cancels Veishea 2014 starting at 5 p.m. April 9. 

Makayla Tendall

Veishea is suspended as of 5 p.m. April 9.

President Steven Leath commented about why he made the decision to cancel Veishea at a news conference at 1:30 p.m.

“I’m extremely saddened to be up here doing what I’m doing now,” Leath said.

Leath said official acts will finish at 5 p.m. because he did not want to risk student safety during the rest of the week. He also mentioned that ISU students need to take responsibility for their actions.

Leath said he also has a special task force appointed to discuss the “role and relevance” of Veishea in coming years. 

“It would be irresponsible of me to decide what the future of Veishea will look like without that input,” Leath said.

Also in attendance were Ann Campbell, Ames mayor, and Charles Cychosz, Ames Police chief, who voiced their disappointment during last night’s events. 

“There were two faces to this event,”Campbell said about the riot.

Campbell also mentioned that she was mayor during previous Veishea riots and is disheartened to see official ceremonies canceled because of popular unofficial student actions. 

Campbell, Leath, Cychosz and Hillary Kletscher, Government of the Student Body president, said their main concerns are with the student who was injured after a light pole hit him in the back of the head during the commotion.

The student’s family has asked that his name not be revealed, but he is in stable condition in an ICU unit in Des Moines.

Past riots during Veishea occurred during the weekend. Ames Police said most arrests during Veishea come from weekend visitors, not students. However, this week’s riot was different.

“It’s Tuesday, folks,” Leath said. “We used to blame the people from out of town. This time it was us.”