Tips on how to prevent alcohol poisoning

Photo: Riley Eveleth/Iowa State Daily

While alcohol can be beneficial in moderate amounts, too much can lead to short-term and long-term damage to the body.

Claire Kirk

Alcohol poisoning is a serious issue that is prevalent in the lives of college students as well as many young adults. Knowing the signs of alcohol poisoning is important and may save someone’s life.

Jordan VanScoy, sophomore in kinesiology and health, is currently an EMT in the Des Moines area. “Alcohol poisoning is caused by binge drinking in which the body cannot keep up with the metabolism of the alcohol,” said VanScoy.

To prevent getting to the point of alcohol poisoning, one should drink in moderation. The recommended amount of alcohol consumption for women is one drink a day, while men should have no more than two drinks in one day, said VanScoy.

VanScoy also advised eating food prior to drinking. Consuming food before drinking can decrease a person’s blood alcohol content.

Not only does VanScoy recommend a person eats food, but he or she should also be drinking plenty of water before each alcoholic beverage. Keeping hydrated with water will dilute the alcohol in a person’s system.

People that decided to drink should always have a buddy to ensure safety of each other.

“When a person is showing signs of alcohol poisoning, it is important to call 911,” VanScoy said. “The dispatcher will give you instructions before the ambulance arrives; just remember to stay with the individual.”

VanScoy said people showing signs of alcohol poisoning should not be given any food or liquids and should be turned on their sides until the ambulance arrives so they do not choke.

“Signs of alcohol poisoning can be shallow breathing as well as the skin color turning blue or purple,” said Austin Henshaw, a prevention services graduate assistant.

Henshaw said to never leave an individual alone that has alcohol poisoning — it is very dangerous and could damage the person’s health.

Henshaw said Iowa State has different services it offers to students that have problems with drinking and alcohol. Thielen Student Health Center and Student Counseling Services are both able to give students help in reducing risky drinking behavior according to their websites.

These services are offered to any student that attends Iowa State. Any counseling offered is judgment-free and kept confidential.

To make appointments for counseling, students can check out the ISU prevention services page online. Other options could include going to the Thielen Student Health Center, which is located next to State Gym.