Letter: Hilton’s atmosphere suffers due to lack of fans

Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Dail

Fans cheer on the Cyclones against No. 7 Michigan at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 17. The Cyclones upset the Wolverines 77-70.

During my three years at Iowa State University there has been revitalization in a once-dormant basketball program. What Fred Hoiberg has done in four short years can simply be described as incredible, and I will forever be proud of the fact that I had the opportunity to witness it in person. However, over the past handful of home basketball games, I’ve begun to wonder if the number of “proud” students is the vast minority in a population of predominately casual fans. 

Then I remind myself that I take basketball far too seriously at times. There are many more things in life that matter more than a game, but are these things the reason that nearly all of the upper deck student section seats remain empty, even for top-25 showdowns? The simple answer is no, though priorities vary from person to person. Maybe I just tend to overestimate the amount of interest that the basketball program should spark. But other than the games against Iowa, Kansas and maybe Michigan there has been essentially zero risk of being turned away. The doors have recently begun opening for students two hours before game time, which means a student could show up when the doors open and still get themselves a lower-bowl seat. Few arenas in the nation match the atmosphere that Hilton has to offer. Most importantly, this season’s team is among the most likeable group of individuals, as well as one of the most entertaining teams to watch in our university’s proud history. So what reason can there be for all the empty seats?

Ultimately, we may never know the real reason[s]. Excuses will continue to be made, students will continue to gobble up all the tickets, and seats will continue to sit empty. So what will change? Will seats need to be taken away? Or will the Cyclone Alley Committee find a way to fill the seats? Because I think I speak for many students when I say that I honestly have no idea what that committee does anyway.