Feminist Friday gives organizational advice for student success

By Loretta McGraw, [email protected]

Planning for success can be just as easy as picking up a planner. The Margaret Sloss Center for Women and Gender Equity provides free 2019-2020 planners for students in need. 

Loretta Mcgraw

Friday’s edition of Feminist Friday brought into play two speakers with a history of helping students turn around their habitats for better, educationally proven time management techniques.

The academic success workshop was on Friday afternoon at the Sloss house. However, students need not fret if they missed this week’s edition, as there is a Feminist Friday addressing a new topic each week.

Jahmai Fisher and Maddy Scott are both employed at the Academic Success Center (ASC) and led this week’s workshop to better help direct students in a number of things, putting a highlight on better crafting an organizational system to fit students needs.

Many factors go into play when touching upon how people study and prepare for college. One of the things many do not take into consideration is the financial aspect of things.

“It’s really all about recognizing the context of higher education, college, graduation — retention rates are impacted so heavily by power and privilege,” Fisher said.

This is an enormous part of why the ASC exists and offers so many services. Low cost tutoring at $5 a session with additional financial assistance being available, one-on-one coaching sessions, eight evening workshops throughout the semester, supplemental instruction sessions and more can be found listed on their site below the resources tab at asc.dso.iastate.edu. 

Just as using color coordination can aid note-taking it can likewise help when crafting lists of things to do. For example, using yellow to signify it is an assignment out on the horizon, green to signify it needs to be started and red to state that the assignment is urgently due. List-making is only one way to get organized, as there are still other resources, such as student planners, bullet journals and calendars, which are all available at zero cost at the ASC.

Fisher and Scott said the Netflix series “Tidying Up With Marie Kondo” is also a beneficial resource for those living busy lives that are interested in decluttering and organizing their lives.

“Organizational methods are what works for you,” Scott said. ” I can’t come in here and tell you it’s definitely going to be this. It takes a little bit of experimentation to decide will that work for me.” 

The closest upcoming workshop the ASC will be providing is on Note Taking Strategies, which will occur on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday evenings the series is hosted at 2:30 p.m., Tuesdays at 11:30 a.m. and Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m. All the sessions take place at the ASC, located at 1060 Hixson-Lied Student Success Center.