Students receive helpful tips from Dating Doctor

Julie Paulson

The dating game has been made simple for many ISU students after David Coleman’s lecture Wednesday night.

Coleman is known as the “Dating Doctor” and gives lectures, speeches and one-on-one advice to people who feel they need help pursuing relationships, making their relationships work or are not sure how to end a relationship.

“It’s not about appearance, it’s about attitude,” said Coleman. “Every day, look in the mirror and say ‘I would so date me.’”

The lecture was sponsored by the Alpha Delta Pi sorority.

“We are extremely honored to be able to bring David Coleman to campus to share his knowledge with ISU students and the Ames community,” said Elizabeth Lennartson, president of Alpha Delta Psi. “We hope people got the answers they came for and that it was worthwhile for them.”

Coleman is the only speaker to win the National Entertainer of the Year award and has been named the National Speaker of the Year fourteen times. He has made over 3,000 appearances and spoken to more than 2 million people.

The lecture covered every stage of a relationship, from the pursuit to the fallout, but much of the advice was focused on becoming a better person before and while dating.

“You will not find the right person until you become the right person,” Coleman said. “If you don’t like yourself, who will want to date you?”

Coleman gave the same advice to the lecture audience that he gives to personal clients on a daily basis.

He said his advice applies to all genders of all orientations.

“The most important advice is if your significant other believes in their heart that you have the capacity to walk away from them — if you are mistreated or disrespected — they will think twice about doing so,” said Coleman. “But if they treat you poorly and you work to keep them, you have given them all the motivation they need to keep doing so.”

Attendees said Coleman’s advice was beneficial.

“I really enjoyed it,” said Corbin Jerde, freshman in engineering. “It was informative and entertaining. I’m really glad I came.”

Attendees were taught how to know if someone is flirting with them, how to decide if a relationship is worth pursuing, how to get out of the “friend zone,” how to tell if their significant other is cheating on them and how to move on from a bad break up.

“You get the respect you demand, deserve, and desire,” said Coleman. “And if you’re putting in all the work, you have to make [your boyfriend or girlfriend] earn their half of the relationship.”

For more information or to purchase merchandise with all proceeds going to charity, visit DatingDoctor.com, or read Coleman’s pages on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.