Clubs organize eating disorder awareness events

The 3rd annual Zumba event took place Feb 23. at State Gym.

Linda Krompicha

National Eating Disorder Awareness week is a series of events organized by the newly formed student club Body Image and Eating Disorder Awareness and the Student Counseling Service.

“I think in college body image problems and eating disorders are very prevalent and we just want to be able to be a source and resource of identification to help promote a positive and sustainable lifestyle for people,” said Kylie Thompson, co-chair of the new BIEDA club.

Every February this national event is spearheaded by the National Eating Disorder Association and is designed to help raise awareness about eating disorders.

It’s a collective effort backed by different offices like the Student Counseling Services, State Gym, athletics and the College of Human Sciences. Each year, the week’s events try to address the different components of eating disorders and where research has gone in that particular year.

Two committees began meeting months before this national week planning events both on and off campus. They were tasked with finding certified specialists to speak, planning interactive events and ensuring that there were multiple perspectives on eating disorders. 

“It’s a disease that is really lonely, friends and family are confused about how to be helpful,” said Michelle Roling, a licensed mental health counselor at Iowa State and certified eating disorder specialist in mental health.

Anyone interested is welcome to join these events; they are not specifically marketed towards any one group of people. Thompson believes everyone can benefit from these events.  

“It’s an important week for us because it will help show people with eating disorders that there is help available. They are not the only person out there that struggles with this,” Thompson said. 

The annual “Pack the Gym” Zumba party was held on Sunday at State Gym. Unlike some previous years, Pack the Gym provided dance lessons from the Cyclone Ballroom Dance club. This event was open to all Iowa State students and recreation pass holders.

This Wednesday people are invited to go to a “Love Your Body” party at State Gym where there will be yoga, dancing, smoothies and vendors for self-care products and services. 

Along with the interactive activities, BIEDA, along with Student Counseling, brought in multiple perspectives from national speakers like Ralph Carson, a nutritionist and exercise psychologist.

“Talking about it in a public way reduces some stigma which normalizes what’s going on for someone,” Roling said.

According to the National Eating Disorder Association, people don’t always comprehend how serious of an issue eating disorders are. It is a very emotional and physical disease and can be potentially life threatening. It’s an ongoing battle involving psychological, interpersonal and social factors. Recovery is difficult, but it is very possible with help and support from family and friends.

“It’s a growing issue and I think our culture has an ideal which everyone is trying to achieve versus a healthy ideal and I don’t think it’s something that’s going to go away,” Thompson said.

For more details and information on the rest of the week’s events, visit their website at http://www.counseling.iastate.edu/.