Editorial: Athletes should not get pay for play

The athletes of our school are mostly just like every other student. Yes, many of them have matching coats and backpacks or specific Nike shoes, but aside from these distinguishing clothes and their large time commitments, they are still students. Imagine if some of those athletes were being paid for their actions on the field. They would no longer be students. Really, they would be professionals who happened to hang out on our campus and attend our classes.

There is no doubt that athletics bring in lots of money for the university, but how much of that money is going back to the athletes already? It is not necessary for an athlete to be getting paid when many are paying next to nothing, or in some cases nothing at all for their education.

According to Iowa State, the average annual cost to the university per student athlete on full scholarship is $62,713. That amount is divided up into multiple subparts. About half goes to out of state full scholarships, tuition and room and board. $4,683 for books and academic support, $4,151 for sports medicine and athletic training, and $5,522 for strength and conditioning and nutrition. In addition, $1,875 goes toward uniforms and equipment, and $18,123 is set aside for team travel. 

It is claimed, however, that these athletes hardly get a “free” education but that they earn it with twenty hours a week in practices and work outs. Dan Hawkins, former college football player and coach said that “athletes work 49 weeks a year. That is longer than any student has to be in classes. Being an athlete is a job.”

Being an athlete may be a commitment, but it is not a job. It becomes a job for some of these college athletes when they become professionals. There is no reason for some student athletes to get paid on top of getting a reduced or free education. That should be considered pay enough.

The NCAA has made their position clear: they do not think that compensation for student athletes is acceptable. The power conferences in the NCAA do not seem to agree with this, and according to a story from CBS sports, many have even thought about leaving the NCAA.  

If it was decided to pay college athletes, it is obvious that larger schools with more money would be able to pay their athletes more. How much money the player is going to make should not be what sways their decision of what school is right for them. Students are attending college to get an education to help them prosper as adults.

It could be argued that college athletes do not need a college education because they plan on going to a professional sports team after graduation. Although this may be the case for some, most college athletes will end up doing something other than sports after graduation. Therefore, the importance of a degree is still apparent. 

Kain Colter, quarterback from Northwestern University along with other players on the football team, have come together to form a union in support of college athletes getting paid for their hard work on the field. Ramogi Huma, president of the National College Players Association, said “Athletes deserve an equal voice when it comes to their physical, academic and financial protections.”

It may be true that they deserve equal voice, however, that does not mean that they deserve pay for what they are doing. Those that would garner significant paychecks are getting enough for free as it is.

Student athletes that do plan on going pro should consider playing on a college team to be work experience. Just like an academically-focused student would put down an internship on their resume, student athletes should consider playing on a team to be a similar experience. Playing a college sport is much like having an internship. It would be difficult for a college student to get a job without an internship (most of which are unpaid), just as it would be difficult for an athlete to go into a professional league without having played at the college level.

Many college athletes already get the opportunity to fly around the country for free. Some get tutors, apparel, meals and tuition all for free. These student athletes should consider all of these free items pay, because there are students on this campus, as well as probably every campus in America that would love to be in their “free” shoes.