GSB Business Senate Debate

Tiffany Herring/Iowa State Daily

Four out of the five candidates participate in a debate for the two GSB business senate seats on Feb. 19 in Carver Hall. Candidates for the two business senate seats include Max Lim, Tyler McKnight, Megan Sweere, Dan Breitbarth and Presha Kardile.  

Emelie Knobloch

Four out of the five candidates for the two GSB business senate seats were present at the business senate debate last evening. 

Candidates for the two business senate seats include Max Lim, Tyler McKnight, Megan Sweere, Dan Breitbarth and Presha Kardile.

Kardile is a senior in management with a minor in finance. She also has a certificate in community leadership and public service through the Catt Center for Women in Politics.

“I am the current director of student diversity for GSB,” Kardile said. “I have worked on various projects throughout my term, one of which includes creating a diversity committee for GSB.”

McKnight is a freshman in marketing and management. He is currently involved in freshman council and the professional fraternity of Alpha Kappa Psi.

“As a less traditional student, I bring a perspective to the table that I don’t believe many others have,” McKnight said. “After working in the real world for few years after high school, I didn’t take coming back to school lightly.“

McKnight said he believes that his mindset will empower him to focus on what really matters to students now and down the road.

Breitbarth is a sophomore in economics and management. He is a member of the Iowa Statesmen, a business senator for GSB, was president of Willow Hall and was senator for IRHA.

“This past year on GSB I spearheaded a project to remodel the sidewalk around Linden Hall that is now finalized and passed,” Breitbarth said. “Many students walk that path and it is basically a mud path right now.”

Lim is a senior in management information systems with a minor in accounting. Lim has served as vice president of Friley Hall and is now serving as president there.

“I realize that we have companies coming in for our career fair,” said Lim. “However, I believe we can have even more companies coming to our career fair.”

Lim is also a member of the IRHA and the professional fraternity of Alpha Kappa Psi.

Adam Guenther, the GSB election commissioner, asked the candidates what issues the College of Business face and how the candidates were going to solve these problems.

“Overcrowding in classrooms is a big problem for the business college,” Breitbarth said. “The main classroom for Gerdin is constantly packed, and I am working to change that.”

Kardile focused on the topic of diversity. Kardile said that there are a lot of communication gaps between students of different cultures.

“I would like to work with the communication center to work on these and possibly hold seminars for students,” Kardile said.

McKnight said student outreach is what he would like to work on if elected.

“I really want to let students know we are here to help them and that we are their liaisons,” McKnight said.

Lim was concerned about the academic side of student issues. Lim said he plans to have more supplemental instruction sessions for classes, including higher-level finance and accounting classes.

Megan Sweere was not at the debate.

GSB elections are March 4-5. Students can vote online at vote.iastate.edu.