Gustafson, Prisacari, Abdul Rahim, Vaassen honored in Women Impacting ISU calendar

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Afifah Abdul Rahim was one of four students selected for the Women Impacting ISU calendar. Rahim, senior in animal science, is involved in Student Admissions Representatives, co-organized three fundraisers and initiated a trip to Thailand to study elephant conservation.

Blake Dowson

The Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics selected 12 women to be showcased in their “Women Impacting ISU” calendar last month.

Among the 12 honorees, four ISU students were selected. Honorees are selected based on their achievements in service, teaching, research, administration and various other campus activities.

Alexandra Gustafson, Anna Prisacari, Afifah Abdul Rahim and Erika Vaassen were selected through an application process completed through the Catt Center.

Abdul Rahim, a senior in animal science, said that her love of Iowa State helped guide her to the honor.

“I would like to think that it is because of my genuine love for Iowa State and for my dedication in giving back to the university in as many ways as I can,” Abdul Rahim said. “I could not afford a college education, and Iowa State provided me with a scholarship to afford college.”

Other than her passion for Iowa State, Abdul Rahim is also involved in Student Admissions Representatives (STARs); has co-organized three fundraisers for Hurricane Sandy, the Boston Marathon bombings and the Hurricane Haiyan hit; and initiated a trip to Thailand to study elephant conservation.

“Iowa State is very supportive of their students’ ambitions, initiatives and dreams … Although I would like to take credit for these achievements, I really feel that I can turn initiatives into reality only because ISU truly supports its student’s aspirations,” Abdul Rahim said. “Iowa State not only provided me with excellent education, [but] it empowered me to be the leader I envision myself to be.”

Abdul Rahim also said she wants to be a veterinarian after she graduates.

“Through animal science, we are often studying both human and animal medicine simultaneously,” Abdul Rahim said. “Professors often address the One Health Initiative as minimizing disease in animals, having a ripple effect in minimizing disease in humans and vice versa. Therefore, through animal science, I am able to help both animals and humans.”

Abdul Rahim dreams of working with Vets with Borders, and someday opening her own private practice.

Prisacari, a doctoral student in human computer interaction and psychology, has put together a resume while at St. Ambrose University in Davenport, Iowa, and now at Iowa State.

“Human computer interaction is an interdisciplinary field that studies the technological progress and how it impacts people and society overall,” Prisacari said. “In my case, I study the effects of technology on students’ test performances.”

Prisacari has taught multiple classes on different topics at Iowa State, DMACC and St. Ambrose, while also leading many workshops on campus.

Also, Prisacari has been honored multiple times through different groups, including the Young Leaders Abroad Summit, the Wakonse Conference on College Teaching and the Seliger International Youth Forum in Russia.

Prisacari was voted the Student Union Board Collaborator of the Year in 2011 and 2012, and has also been the president of the Graduate and Professional Student Senate since 2013.

Prisacari said she wants to work in education in the future.

“After graduation, I would like to work in the educational policy-making sector where I could contribute to advancing US public education, Prisacari said.

Gustafson, a senior double majoring in environmental science and political science, is also on the swim team where she serves as a co-captain. Gustafson is involved with many other things as well.

“I have been a women’s swimmer for all of my college career and have served this year as co-captain,” Gustafson said. “I am employed at the outdoor recreation program where I am a trip leader, a member of the Green Umbrella ([having] served as president for one year) and finally, I was a teaching assistant in the political science department for several semesters.”

According to Gustafson, her post-graduation plans are still up in the air.

“After I graduate, I am taking a year off,” Gustafson said. “I am searching for internships related to ocean research and ocean conservation. I have a few travel plans in the works to visit places abroad, and then I will apply to graduate schools for the 2015 [academic] year.

Vaassen, a senior in chemical engineering, said she wanted to make an impression on people’s lives at Iowa State.

“Since I entered Iowa State University, my motivation was to make a lasting impact on people’s lives,” Vaassen said. “I not only sought out to do that within the College of Engineering, but my involvement in other organizations has also impacted campus and the Ames community. By passionately contributing to these communities, I have developed great connections with individuals.”

Vaassen also said that she is not done with her education.

“I still have some time left at Iowa State, and I am looking forward to studying abroad in Turkey during Fall 2014,” Vaassen said. “After graduating, I’ll likely continue working with industry to develop improved processes and better practices. I’m excited to start answering some of our world’s most pressing issues regarding food and energy.” 

When asked about what makes a good leader, Abdul Rahim, Prisacari, Gustafson and Vaassen all emphasized interaction with others.

“A good leader is someone who helps others reach their goals and dreams,” Abdul Rahim said. “My personal motto in life is, ‘If I could, I would. If I can, I shall. If I must, I will.’”

Prisacari described the qualities of a leader.

“Leadership can greatly vary in style,” Prisacari said. “Yet, leadership is first and foremost about successfully interacting with people. Leadership is the art of accomplishing goals with the other people, and, therefore, before leading, one needs to learn how to listen, to communicate, to negotiate and to persuade others. However, in accomplishing these goals, the leader must remain honest and passionate.”

Gustafson values trust as an important leadership attribute.

“I think I am a good leader because all of my involvements help me relate to many different people and a variety of interests,” Gustafson said. “Also, I have been put in many situations, being that from a close race, to the planning of an event, to teaching people new skills, and those [situations] have taught me how to manage many situations … Lastly, I am genuinely interested in my peers and value their presence in my life, so I think I form a bond of trust.”

Vaassen said a leader should motivate the majority.

“A leader seeks out potential and inspires the best in others,” Vaassen said. “In doing so, we allow the individual and the group to become the best version of itself. Great leaders use their influence to inspire and motivate. It takes courage and authenticity, and is, most importantly, everyone’s business.”