Standing for more: Dance Marathon raises more money than previous year

Students dance during Power Hour at Dance Marathon 2014 on Jan. 25 at the Memorial Union. Students that participated raised $250 or more to donate to the University of Iowa Childrens Hospital. 

Brian Keck

Smiling, laughing, cheering, crying and, of course, dancing, these were just a few of the things that happened at the Memorial Union on Jan. 25.

Dance Marathon is a 15-hourlong celebration of a year’s worth of hard work of thousands of ISU students raising money for the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.

This year marked the 17th anniversary of Iowa State Dance Marathon, which began with a herd of eager participants waiting around in the dining area of the Memorial Union.

This year Iowa State Dance Marathon was able to raise $427,350.17 for the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital.

Iowa State Dance Marathon was able to increase from last year’s total of $327,032.16, a difference of $100,318.01.

Once 9 a.m. came around the lights started flashing, the music booming and 1,000 plus energetic students began snaking their way into the Great Hall.

Seen and shouted throughout the crowd of dancers were the letters FTK, which stands for “For The Kids.”

“There are young people out here who are caring for children who have a hard start in life,” said Pat Perkins, grandmother of miracle child Suzie Moorman. It is so inspiring to see all the college students give up their weekend to celebrate and cheer for these kids they’ve never met, she said.

At the top of each hour a different family was able to share their battles with all the dancers and were able to personally give thanks for making Dance Marathon possible.

“It’s amazing, all the love you get from the college students and they are just treating the kids like they are super stars, it’s like they have hundreds of big brothers and sisters,” said Dale Weber, father of a miracle child.

After Tessa Huff, the mother of miracle child Gracie, finished speaking about her daughter, a flash mob broke out involving her boyfriend.  He then proposed to her and she said accepted.

“It was a complete surprise, I was up on stage talking about Grace, next thing I know there was a flash mob and my fiance was proposing,” Huff said.

The day was filled with a variety of activities including arcades, lazar tag, karaoke, bounce houses and much more.

There were a variety of performers who came to celebrate, including Jamie Lono, Paradise Fears and appearances from the Iowa State Dance and cheer squads, swimming team, women’s soccer, volleyball and football team.

“[The kids] have this way of living life so unabashedly, without apology or regret and to me it’s unbelievably inspiring,” said Sam Miller, lead singer of Paradise Fears.

The families who attended were able to express their gratitude to the hundreds of students that made Dance Marathon possible by individually thanking them during the “Thank You Circle.”

Going to the Hospital and being able to use things Iowa State Dance Marathon provided just makes it feel more like home, said Gary Eyles, father of a miracle child.

Outside of Saturday’s event, Dance Marathon continues to fundraise and put on other events throughout the span of the year.

“People don’t realize the things they do outside this day, all the little things they do and connections you make with these students,” Eyles said.