Conversations and ISU Dining accommodate students for finals

Hayley Hochstetler/Iowa State Daily

Conversations dining, located in the basement of Oak/Elm residence hall, is a continuous-running dining center which makes it a good place for students to study and grab coffee from their coffee bar. 

Brian Keck

Conversations, a typical dining center, has transformed and remolded itself into a cafe at night.

ISU Dining has turned Conversations into a late night bundle location as well as a late night cafe for students looking for evening meals who live on the East side of campus.

“At night, Conversations turns into a bundle location,” said Brittney Rutherford, marketing coordinator for ISU Dining. “It adds a location similar to Clyde’s or Hawthorn where students can get a warm meal on that side of campus.”

Unlike the other dining centers, Conversations does not require a meal swipe at night. Students have the ability to socialize and study in a large area without having to purchase a meal.

“Conversations, which is smaller than other dining centers, allows students to come and relax in a quiet, homey area that fosters personal connections and networking,” said Tammie McElroy, manager of food services at Conversations Dining.

With a large seating area away from where students get their food, ISU Dining hopes to create a more open and welcoming atmosphere for students.

“We offer a different type of seating in community style seating. It’s allowed us to have seating in one area and dining in the other,”  McElroy said.

Some students find the large area a good place to study, especially with finals approaching.

Sami Elert, freshman in design, said ISU Dining keeps Conversations open all day which makes it less crowed and a good place to study.

“It’s quiet and has better food than the other dining centers which keeps me awake,” Elert said.

For finals and dead week, Conversations will be meeting the needs of students as best they can.

“We will be closing off our dining room for quiet studying. It’s a highly stressful period for students and I think they deserve our facility to be open,” McElroy said.

Students without a meal plan will also be able be able to utilize the benefits of studying at Conversations in that they will be able to purchase food and coffee with cash or dining dollars.

“Students look to us as their home away from home, and we want to meet their needs the best we can; and if that means providing a quiet spot that’s the least we can do,” McElroy said.

In addition to providing a quiet spot to study, Conversations will be selling special coffee to students, which is priced at two dollars.

Rutherford said being able to go to Conversations to study will be a nice change up for many students.

“[When it comes to] studying for finals, sometimes you have to take yourself out of your element,” Rutherford said.

In addition to Conversations, Seasons will also be opening earlier at 6:15 a.m., to accommodate students with early finals.

Rutherford said Seasons opening early will be a nice thing for students. The management team is conscious of students getting up early in order to get a good breakfast before their finals.

In addition to bundling at night, Conversations Dining also offers bundles in the morning.