Wild Bunch helps to lead, wreak havoc for Cyclone Hockey

Suhaib Tawil/Iowa State Daily

From Left to Right: junior Alec Wilhemi, sophomore Scott Antonsen, sophomore Alex Stephens, junior Nate Percy, freshman Preston Blanek, and junior Seth Serhienko posed for the photo after practice at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena on Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Jared Stansbury

Historically, the fourth line of a hockey team is considered the grinders; the players who are on the ice to defend, hit people and just wreak havoc.

For Cyclone Hockey, the fourth line does just that, thus earning them the name the “Wild Bunch.”

To ISU coach Al Murdoch, they are the group that provides inspiration for the rest of the team.

“They are the energy line,” Murdoch said. “They just go out there with energy and just go.”

Junior Nate Percy sees the chemistry that was developed a year ago as a big part of the fourth line’s early success.

“I had a chance to skate with Scott Antonsen last year,” Percy said. “We had that chemistry right away, so we have added some more guys throughout the year and been successful.”

Percy has been the points leader for the group through the first part of the season. He has scored 10 points, on three goals and seven assists, and also is plus-seven on the ice.

To Percy, success is the group just doing their jobs.

“We just go out there and fly with reckless abandon.” Percy said. “We have been in the right places at the right times and have been able to put up some goals and shut people down.”

Another member of the “Wild Bunch” thinks that despite some of the fluidity of people on the line, the chemistry remains the same.

“Some of the guys are in and out of the lineup.” Alex Stephens, sophomore, said. “But whoever is out there, we trust them, and that is really helpful.”

To Murdoch, the versatility of some of the guys on the line is what makes them special.

“Those guys can play any position at anytime,” Murdoch said. “We aren’t scared to throw any of them out there together because we know they can get the job done.”

Perhaps the biggest indication of Murdoch’s trust in the group is that he played them against No. 3 ranked Robert Morris University’s top line this past weekend.

“They shut down Robert Morris’ leading goal scorer,” Murdoch said. “They played exceptionally well and they were able to shut down one of the best groups in the country.”

Percy also feels like it is just an indication of how much work the “Wild Bunch” puts in.

“To know that we shut them out pretty much the whole weekend, that gave us a good confidence booster,” Percy said. “To get more ice time since we were matched up with that line, that was good.”

The “Wild Bunch” is also the perfect name according to Percy.

“We love it, we just go out there, take bodies and fly around the ice,” Percy said. “That is how we do it.”