Jake Swanson, Szuyin Leow named Homecoming king, queen at pep rally

Brian Keck

The Homecoming weekend kicked off Friday night, Nov. 8, with the traditional pep rally and the crowning of the new king and queen.

This year’s king and queen are Jake Swanson and Szuyin Leow.

Swanson, senior in global resource systems, has been involved in many campus organizations — Government of the Student Body, Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and Cardinal Key, among others. 

“I thought it would be a neat opportunity to apply,” Swanson said. “I’ve always imagined the king is someone who has been very involved in Iowa State from the beginning, someone very passionate and someone very big on Iowa State traditions.”

Part of Swanson’s community service is organizing the nation’s first student-run Bacon Expo and working with the United Way.

“I am a very big proponent of philanthropy and services, and I was able to donate 200 pounds [of] bacon to the Food at First food pantry” Swanson said. 

Leow, senior in mechanical engineering and economics, is involved in many organizations throughout campus such as the ISU Alumni Association’s Young Alumni Council, a member of Pi Beta Phi Sorority and Cardinal Key, among others.

“While serving on Homecoming Central, I’ve been aware of all the amazing people who have been awarded as king and queen in the past,” Leow said. 

Leow described Homecoming as her great love here at Iowa State. 

“Homecoming is a time for all the Cyclone family to come together,” Leow said. “It’s my favorite because you get to see Cyclones young and old, people who are going to be future collegiates and people who are going to be future alumni. It’s really a chance to get to see where we’ve been and where we’re going.”

Many students and alumni gathered together to celebrate their favorite Cyclone traditions and show off their Cyclone spirit. 

“[Homecoming] shows there is a lot of support for the school,” said Barbara Hansen, alumna from the class of 1987.

Hansen was surprised about all the changes that have happened at Iowa State, from the additions of new buildings to the large celebration of Homecoming. 

“All the activities they put on are great, it shows all the support to the Cyclone community,” Hansen said. 

In addition to students and alumni, other supporters, including Iowa State staff, attended the pep rally to show support to their school as well. 

“It’s fun to see Yell Like Hell and see the basketball and football teams,” said Arne Hallam, associate dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Hallam said Homecoming is a great time for new and old to come together and celebrate the past.  

The pep rally included other Cyclone traditions such as the final performances for Yell Like Hell, the introduction of the Cyclone football and basketball teams, a performance by the Cyclone marching band, and the crowning of the Cardinal Court.