Students get a taste of different cultures at Food Night

David Gerhold

Baklava, kopi teh, masala chai and momo. These were a few of the meals from all around the world that were sold at Food Night on Sunday.

Seven student association groups came together and presented their traditional cuisines as part of International Week.

“In the last few years, we had an International Dessert and Snack Fair, but for this year, we wanted to change things up and give students a chance to serve hot food as well,” said Firdaus Ridzuan, event coordinator of the Food Night and senior in geology.

Ridzuan said the goal is to give students an opportunity to try food they don’t normally see around Ames, since not everyone has the money or opportunity to travel around.

Aimi Nik Adnan, of the Muslim Student Association and junior in physics, sold a mixture of Middle-Eastern and Malaysian food.

“Baklava, for example, is more of a dessert you have on holidays or when you have guests coming over,” Adnan said. “We tried to keep it simple and serve everyday food that you would typically see in the Middle Eastern countries.”

Not all the international associations were able to attend Food Night, including the French Student Organization.

“We’re a little short on European food tonight, which is a shame,” Ridzuan said. “The French Student Organization actually wanted to participate, but the group is too small, so they don’t have enough people to cook.”

The Indian Student Association chose their food based on how easily and quick it could be made.

“We only had two hours to prepare it, so we decided to go with bhel — that’s puffed rice freshly mixed with onions, potatoes, meat, chili and several Indian spices — and masala chai — an Indian tea,” said Vivek Lawana, executive officer of the International Student Association.

James Dorsett, director of the International Students and Scholars Office, tried Taiwanese food and Indian bhel.

“Wow, that was really hot, but it was also really, really good,” Dorsett said.

Sam Ennett, sophomore in global resource systems, said he’s usually more into Mexican food.

“That’s not too surprising, I know,” Ennett said. “But I do love international food in general. It’s a new experience every time.”

Ennett said he felt like Food Night helped to bring the student body a little bit closer together.

“We just come together and share food,” Ennett said. “It’s fun.”

Jyoti Woli, of the Nepal Student Association and sophomore in pre-business, said her group ran out of food after 30 minutes.

“The interest was much bigger than expected,” Woli said. “I was surprised how many people liked our momo, a traditional form of dumpling from Nepal.” 

Ridzuan said food is something that goes beyond any language barrier.

“Even if you don’t understand anything, you’ll always understand food, because everybody eats food,” Ridzuan said.

Ridzuan said food serves as a casual way for people to bond and talk about their cultures.

“You can start an engaging conversation, simply by asking, ‘Hey, what are you eating?’” Ridzuan said. “And that’s what we try to

do here.”

The money raised on Food Night will be donated to the Red Cross to help out the Philippines after last week’s typhoon.

“It is important to consider that, while we’re enjoying our food right here, these people down there don’t even have a roof, so we do whatever we can to help them out,” Ridzuan said