Are tattoos more acceptable now in the workplace?

Kelsey Johnson

Acceptability is a point of concern for tattoo enthusiasts. Changes in the world of tattooing, such as the culture behind the ink and the people who embrace it, have been brought about in recent years.

“We’ve moved towards a greater tolerance … [but] sometimes, the best thing to do is to blend in with what’s expected,” said Kevin Scheibe, associate professor of supply chains and information systems at Iowa State.

Scheibe believes that acceptability of tattoos and other forms of self-expression in the workplace are on the rise, but warns students that making the change is not going to be a quick and easy process.

“Do you want to be the trend-setter, in terms of giving future generations that are interested in tattoos [the] freedom and the cost may be people discriminate against you because of that?” Scheibe said.

He advised students to be aware of those difficulties while making permanent decisions.

“Employers would probably say that they would not overlook somebody who meets every other metric. If you have good grades, you’re in the right major and you have a skill set that’s desirable, having a tattoo probably wouldn’t negate that,” Scheibe said.

Kristan Lawless, manager of the human resources department at Mary Greeley Medical Center, believes that tattoo acceptance is increasing. Her department hires graduate students, but not many people younger. Lawless said the company policy requires that any visible tattoos need to be covered. Face and hand tattoos would be a hindrance, though she said she has never had to turn anyone away from a position due to tattoos.

Even though tattoos are not widely accepted now, Lawless said, she believes this may change with the perception of the geriatric generation. Policies on appearance, including tattoos, are in place to keep the patients in a comfort zone. She believes when their opinions and attitude toward the form of self-expression change, a greater level of acceptance will be brought about.

David King, associate professor of management, said different career fields have different cultures within them and those cultures will affect the acceptance of tattoos in the workplace.

“Acceptance is going to be based on the culture of the organizations. There will be more businesses that become more accepting of it, but there’s going to be places where it’s just not going to happen,” King said.

King said some businesses thrive off of creativity and tattoos are becoming progressively more acceptable in those areas. There are places, however, that base their business off of trust and respectability.  Those companies will have stricter limits when it comes to pushing acceptability. Hospitals, for example, need to provide their patients with the highest level of comfort. People seeking a career in law or accounting should also expect a slower rate of acceptance in the workplace.

Shelbey Wilkie, senior in management, said she sees a lot more people around with visible tattoos and believes that corporate America will have to adapt and become more accepting of the form of expression.

Emily Veach, artist at Heroic Ink, said that the market has become extremely saturated.

“Tattoos have spread so quickly into mainstream society, I feel it will reach a breaking point,” Veach said.

Veach said she believes the market will either have to adjust and move towards greater acceptance or the trend could potentially die off entirely and bring about a wave of tattoo removals.

Veach has noticed a rising trend in getting neck and hand tattoos. This is a very ostentatious location for any tattoo, and she recommends thinking about other locations for ink. As an artist, Veach has made sure that all of her tattoos are easy to cover when in appropriate attire.

Scheibe has similar views on displayed tattoos and voices his concern for students that are making decisions with permanent consequences.

“If you’re in business, I would recommend care. Tattoos of the neck and of the face, things where it becomes dramatic, could really hurt opportunities,” Scheibe said.

“Do you want to be the one that’s going to try to forge the new ground and maybe make it easier for the people to come behind you?” Scheibe said.

He went on to say students will have to make a choice on what it is exactly they want to do. He said that bringing future corporate acceptance will come with difficulties for tattoo enthusiasts that are looking to boost acceptability. 

Ali Galles, sophomore in accounting, said she has a single tattoo on her foot. She chose to put it there because it is a spot that is easily hidden in the workplace. She has the desire to get more tattoos but is waiting to see what the future will bring for tattoo acceptance. 

“It’s a form of self-expression that has lost its uniqueness to some degree and it seems to be that we want to continue to push the envelope to be different,” Schebie said.

Scheibe went on to say that even though the commonality of tattoos is rising, there could still be hindrances for employees rising in the ranks because corporate America judges based on appearance.

Every person has their own way of expressing themselves, whether it’s the style of clothes they wear or the color of their hair. Each person is entitled to their own opinion as to how they feel about different types of self-expression, tattoos included.

“I believe that by the time our generation is the one making decisions, they’ll be acceptable, but for the immediate future, they’re still seen as something taboo,” said Marek Macek, senior in finance.

Macek said he believes tattoo acceptability has a long journey ahead.

“Even after it is accepted by the general public it will take a change in leadership to make the change in the professional environment,” Macek said.