Blitz Week to give students free registration for Relay for Life through Colleges Against Cancer

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

Participants in Iowa State’s Relay For Life line the track inside Lied Recreation Athletic Center to support cancer survivors taking the inaugural lap of the evening on Friday, March 23. Survivors led the relay for the first lap, then invited all other participants to join them in walking continuously for 12 hours. 

David.Gerhold

Almost every student is in some way connected to cancer, whether it is directly or through a family member or a friend. That’s what the organization Colleges Against Cancer says, and that’s why they are trying to raise awareness for the issue at Iowa State with this year’s Blitz Week.

“Every year, we organize a big community event called ‘Relay for Life,’ where we try to get as many students and groups to raise money for our cause,” said Kelsey McCarty, senior in food science and president of Colleges Against Cancer.

The goal is for every participant to raise $100 until “Relay for Life,” which will be on the March 7, 2014. To sign up, people have to pay a $10 admission fee online.

“We know that the admission fee can be a holdback for a lot of students to participate in the first week, which is why we’re doing Blitz Week,” McCarty said. “From Sunday up until this Saturday, you can participate without having to pay the fee and you’ll even be entered in [a contest] to win a $50 gift certificate for Target.”

Blitz Week is supposed to provide an incentive to as many ISU students as possible to participate in “Relay for Life.”

“Every participant who manages to raise $100 will get a T-shirt and free food at the event itself,” said Amanda Loomis, sophomore in pre-liberal studies and executive of nongreek recruitment for Colleges Against Cancer.

Both Loomis and McCarty said the topic hit home for them, because they have been both seen to the cancer’s effect within their own families.

“My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last April,” Loomis said. “Fortunately, she made it through, but that was the turning point where I started to get actively involved in ‘Relay for Life.’”

McCarty’s mother didn’t have the same result. She died when her daughter was 9 years old.

“I always knew I wanted to do something, because it can basically hit anyone,” McCarty said.

The admission process is simple: People just need to go to relayforlife.org and search “Iowa State University” in order to sign up. After that, they will receive an email with basic information and tips on how to raise money.

“I know that a lot of students feel like raising $100 is a large amount of money, but it really isn’t,” McCarty said. “Think about it. You get 10 people to donate $10 and there you go.”

There are a lot of effective ways to raise money for “Relay for Life.”

“You could offer activities like bake sales or go from door to door,” McCarty said. “Send emails to everybody you know; let them know what you’re doing and that it’s for a good cause.”

Loomis said she discovered social media as an effective tool to raise money. “Everyone is connected on sites like Facebook, so as soon as you post there that you’re looking for donors, there is a good chance that people will step up and help you out.”

McCarty also encourages people to fundraise as a team.

“Talk to the clubs you’re in, the organizations, your friends or the people on your dorm floor,” McCarty said. “It’s more fun, and you might come up with even more creative ideas.”

Loomis said it is important to educate people about cancer as much as possible.

“When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, everybody kept asking me, what stage it was,” Loomis said. “I didn’t even know what that meant at that point.”

Loomis said she will be participating in “Relay for Life” for as long as it exists.

“Hopefully, that won’t be for long, so that we will be at a point, where we don’t need Colleges Against Cancer any more,” Loomis said.