Ag Entrepreneurship Initiative helps students learn through internship, travel programs

Courtesy of the Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative

The Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative offers many opportunities for students both in the United States and abroad.

Adelai Swanson

The Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative program offers a variety of opportunities to ISU students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Throughout the academic year, the program sponsors events that allow more than 800 students to cultivate a better understanding of entrepreneurial opportunities after graduation. For example, the program hosts roundtables where successful entrepreneurs come to campus and speak with students. Students are also able to obtain international experience through initiative’s study abroad program. This year students will be traveling to Tanzania to work side by side with an entrepreneurial company. The program also encompasses student business incubators, National Agri-Marketing Association Team and Club, a lecture series and even an entrepreneurial minor.

The Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative program has grown to offer 20 different internship opportunities to students each summer.

Natalina Sents, sophomore in agricultural business, used the initiative’s internship program as a freshman last year. After receiving an email from the program, Sents decided to submit her resume and was then chosen for an interview.

“I expressed my interests in agri-tourism and marketing to the AgEI staff and from there they began a matchmaking process,” Sents said. The AgEI staff worked with Sents to find a company that best fit her interests. Sents interned for Enchanted Acres, a startup pumpkin patch located in northern Iowa.

“Basically, I was able to run the company,” Sents said. “I was given a list of the ideas for the upcoming season and was in charge of turning the ideas into realities. One of my biggest projects was planning the entire calendar for the season. My boss wanted a craft every weekend for families and then also events to attract them out to the farm, whether that be a local band, wine tasting or local barbecue, just something that promotes community and boosts people’s interests [in] Enchanted Acres.”

Sents credits her successful internship to those working in the Agriculture Entrepreneurship Initiative program at Iowa State.

“Don’t be afraid to stop in the office and jump right in,” Sents said.

The program also offers international internships for students who are looking to step out of their comfort zone. Tyler Krug, senior in agricultural systems technology, interned on a rice farm in Tanzania during the summer.

“I was looking for a challenge,” Krug said, “Since I participated in an AgEI internship as a junior.”

While in Tanzania, Krug analyzed different moisture levels of rice using precision ag technology.

“I focused on specific projects regarding precision ag and agronomy: soil sampling, mapping, software and programming,” said Krug. “There was always something new going on. It was pretty neat that I got to be included on all aspects of the farm.”

Throughout his internship, Krug was emerged in a diverse culture and was introduced to an alternate side of agriculture.

“As much as I helped them, I learned twice as much from just being around the rice production, international ag and the culture,” Krug said.

Through his involvement with program, Krug gained contacts, skills and experiences that he will carry over into the workforce after he graduates in December.

“If you are looking for an internship that will impact you, AgEI is the right fit,” Krug said.

Staff with the Agricultural Entrepreneurship Initiative Program will be available to speak with students at the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Career Fair on Oct. 15. Students can also visit their website at www.entrepreneurship.ag.iastate.edu or stop in their office located in 0030 Curtiss Hall.