Midwest, Iowa State attract exchange students

Katharina Gruenewald

ISU students have many different opportunities to gain experience abroad through trips, short-term studies and exchanges. But exchanges mean more than just students going abroad: It also means that Iowa State is hosting students from other countries.

The history of exchanges at Iowa State goes back to the first international exchange with an institution in Switzerland. Between 1984 to 1989, eight ISU students made their way to Switzerland, and in return, eight students from Switzerland came to Iowa State.

Now, nearly 30 years later, Iowa State is hosting 73 exchange students from institutions in Australia, Denmark, England, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland, Singapore, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and Turkey. Iowa State has almost 60 active exchanges with schools from more than 30 different countries.

There are two types of exchanges.

“One is a college specific exchange, and I would say the vast majority of these are housed within the college of engineering at the moment,” said Monica Ernberger, program coordinator at the Study Abroad Center. “Those [exchanges] are designed just for example for engineers to swap places with other engineers. Then there are the universitywide exchanges, for example, with the University in Glasgow, Scotland.”

Universitywide exchanges are open to every major.

Both types are a somewhat even exchange.

“One student from there, one student from here. How many total come depends on how many [the foreign institution] wants to send and how many we want to send. So it could be just one or even none for a particular semester going abroad. But two could still be coming to us,” Ernberger said. “We have to stay within five. It’s called being in balance. So as long as we have not sent more than five one way or the other, recent or received, we are OK.”

The reasons for exchange students to choose Iowa State are manifold. Many come here for a particular program like the apparel, merchandising and design program or the mechanical engineering program.

Others choose Iowa State because the Midwest, and Iowa in particular, are seen as secure and safe environments, Ernberger said.

John Kilpatrick, exchange student from Exeter, England, said he chose Iowa State because it was the most “untouristy” one he could go to.

“Basically, my university has a choice of five abroad institutions,” he said. “I could have gone to Florida, but I thought this is going to be more like the real America.”

Kilpatrick said he likes the attitude of the people and that he can live on campus with a small town right next to it just like home, but still has to get used to the different teaching method at Iowa State.

“In England, you just have one exam, one bit of coursework. You go to lecture and take some notes, but you won’t get any homework. Sometimes the final exam can make 100 percent of your grade,” Kilpatrick said. “I still prefer the style of the U.K., but then again, that’s what I am used to.”

The length of the study abroad experience can depend greatly on the institution. While Iowa State requires its students to study abroad in Exeter for only one semester, the University of Exeter requires its students fulfill an entire year abroad.

“I think it is better going for a year, because you can get the full experience. The first semester is just getting used to the place,” Kilpatrick said.

In all her time at the Study Abroad Center, Ernberger said she’s never had an academic year exchange student that wanted to leave early. On the contrary, many students want to figure out how to stay longer, she said.

“It never fails to surprise me how many students come to ask me for an extension,” Ernberger said. “Once they get here they absolutely fall in love with ISU.”

Kilpatrick agreed and said that he is glad he came to Iowa State.