Food Crawl organizers hope event introduces students to Campustown

Brian Voss

For the first time ever, the Campustown Student Association is holding a Food Crawl.

Gabby Williams, president of the Campustown Student Association said the event is free and will take place from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 31.

The event will have free food samples available from a variety of Campustown restaurants including Jimmy Johns, Fighting Burrito, Domino’s, Charlie Yoke’s, Jeff’s Pizza, Arcadia, Wise Guys, Subway, Battles Bar-B-Q and Dunkin’ Donuts.

Williams said the goal of the event is to put on something fun and free for students.

“The businesses have been really generous with this, even more generous than I imagined or anticipated,” Williams said.

Williams said those wishing to participate can register on the Campustown Student Association Facebook page.

T-shirts are available when registering, and those who buy T-shirts will be entered in a raffle to win a gift card.

Students participating in the event are expected to meet at Arcadia.

Williams said a member of the Campustown Student Association will take a group of roughly 10 or 15 people to each of the businesses.

“So students [don’t even have to] worry about, ‘well where am I going next?’” Williams said. “They are just kind of going with us.”

Williams said the food crawl is one of the biggest free events around campus.

“Fighting Burrito is giving away almost half a burrito,” Williams said. “It’s just more food than you could possibly eat.”

In addition to free food, Williams said hundreds of dollars in gift cards will be given away in various categories including best costume.

“We have free pizzas to give away, free cheesy bread to give away, free Dunkin’ Donuts to give away,” Williams said.

Williams said the businesses really want to give back to the students and this is the way they are doing that.

Michael Plantenberg, member of the Campustown Student Association, said the Food Crawl is an opportunity to introduce younger students to Campustown.

“As a freshman coming in, we just want to expose them to all the fun things to do in Campustown, besides drinking,” Plantenberg said.

Williams said while a costume is not required, it is recommended, especially considering the costume contests included in the event.

“It’s almost like, literally, trick-or-treating for college kids,” Williams said.

Williams said the event is also partnering with a new site, outgoing.me. She said they are hoping students post pictures from the food crawl on outgoing.me.

Plantenberg said it is no coincidence that the event is on Halloween.

“We’re doing it on Halloween that way we have for all age groups, especially those under 21, a chance to do something safe and fun on Halloween,” Plantenberg said.