A sweet sign: Students share stories of choosing Iowa State

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Abbie Andersen, freshman in open option from Florida, used a nonconventional way to choose her adventure at Iowa State. Andersen had her college choices narrowed down between University of Florida and Iowa State, and she made her choice after pulling out two M&M’s from her bag: one red and one yellow.

Logan Olson

For some students, making the decision to come to Iowa State is an easy one. For others, it might be something they have to mull over and might even be a last minute decision.

For Abbie Andersen, it was one of those last minute decisions.

“My mom said, ‘You really need to decide what you want to do,’ and I was waiting for a sign,” the freshman in open-option, said. 

With this tough choice, she said she really had to weigh the pros and cons of the two schools she was deciding between. 

“It was between Iowa State and the University of Florida; both of them have always been my dream schools,” Andersen said. “My dad went to Iowa State, and I have family in Iowa, so that was a big factor. … Florida was always my dream school because I’m from Florida, and my brother went there, so I’m a huge Gators fan.”

As she was eating M&M’s, one of her favorite candies, Andersen pulled out two colors: red and yellow. Andersen took this as her sign to come to Iowa State and said she feels that this has been the best choice for her.

“I feel like it’s changed me, because I was always at home,” Andersen said. “So being able to get away from my parents and do things on my own, become independent, has changed me a lot and made me a bigger person.”

Hannah Harless, freshman in political science, is here for her first semester, coming from Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Harless’s parents work for the College of Dentistry at the University of Iowa, but that is not where Harless chose to go. 

“I grew up in Iowa City and saw what it had to offer,” Harless said. “When I came on a campus tour of Iowa State, I fell in love.”

Harless said her parents did not pressure her decision as long as she was happy. Harless has enjoyed her time at Iowa State so far and has joined a sorority and made new friends, she said. 

For other students, being close to home is important.

Kelsey Knudsen, junior in event management, listed this as her main reason to come to Iowa State. 

Knudsen also said she chose Iowa State “because I didn’t know what I wanted to do, and my dad came here.”

Caitlyn Baagoe, freshman in apparel, merchandising and design, chose Iowa State based solely on the fact that she knew what she wanted to do.

“[Iowa State is] one of the only universities in Iowa that has my program,” Baagoe said. “The University of Northern Iowa has it, but it’s not as good as Iowa State’s program.”

While some of these students have had easier times deciding, and others needed a sign, all of them said that they feel coming to Iowa State was a good decision.