Depth helps Iowa State sweep of Huntsville

Senior Chris CuculluCQ is tied in the lead in goals this season with sophomore Austin ParleCQ and sophomore J.P. Kascsak with 6 points. Iowa State defeated Huntsville 14 – 2 Sat., Sept. 21 at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.

Jared Stansbury

Cyclone hockey fell behind early to the Huntsville Havoc in both games of its weekend series before rebounding to pick up 7-3 and 14-2 wins, moving the team to 4-0-0 on the young season.

“I don’t want it to be a habit that we let the opponent get out to a lead,” said ISU coach Al Murdoch. “There are going to be some down the road that will keep it rolling, but they are unfazed by it so that’s a good sign.”

Iowa State was able to get goals from 12 different players during the weekend series, including two goal performances from Mark Huber and Chris Cucullu and a hat trick on Saturday night from Austin Parle that scored three goals.

The depth that the Cyclones were able to show throughout the weekend is something that impressed Murdoch.

“It is a good reflection on our staff and our director of recruiting Eric Tofte,” Murdoch said. “He has done a tremendous job of finding us the best students as well as best hockey players.”

Parle was able to pick up his first three goals of the year on Saturday night. The sophomore forward thinks the depth Iowa State is developing now will be huge down the road.

“You need depth to make a playoff run,” Parle said. “It is huge for a championship team to have depth throughout, so this is good.”

Cucullu, who made his first goal of the season on Friday then followed that performance will two third period goals on Saturday, says he has known of the team’s depth for quite some time.

“I knew when we played our first game that we would have a well-rounded team,” Cucullu said. “If there is a game where the big guys aren’t stepping up, we have people to fill in and put the puck in the net.”

Iowa State was able to start two different goaltenders, Matt Cooper on Friday and Scott Ismond on Saturday, during the weekend series.

“We have a ton of confidence in our goalies right now,” Cucullu said. “A championship team starts in the net and those guys are playing very well.”

Iowa State was able to go 4 of 11 on the weekend during power play chances. Parle thinks that is a place the Cyclones need to focus during this week of practice.

“We need to get better on our special teams and power plays,” Parle said. “We just have to get better with the little things and develop our lines.”

Cyclone hockey’s next action will be Saturday and Sunday against the North Iowa Bulls.