ISU Dining presents for GSB, hopes to expand retail

Alison Kron/ Iowa State Daily

Members of GSB listen to Nancy Keller field questions in Campanile Room at the Memorial Union on September 25, 2013. 

Brian Voss

The Government of the Student Body’s Senate meeting on Wednesday was headlined by Nancy Keller, the director for ISU Dining.

Keller touched on an increase in transactions this year due to the growing school enrollment.

“There is more demand for food,” Keller said.

This year, campus dining services has a thousand more transactions a day compared to the same time last year. 

To help handle the increased enrollment, a cafe has been added in Curtiss Hall. 

Keller said that the space, the Global Cafe in the Harl Commons, has been under-utilized at this time.

“That is the model of some of the things I’m looking for,” Keller said.

Keller expressed an interest to have more retail on campus, but stated that she does not want to overextend ISU dining.

“The reality is we need some seating,” Keller said.

Keller said the prices for meal plans have not increased for this year. 

She said this is partly due to the high number of students on meal plans.

ISU Dining also had an accomplishment this last year when it was voted 10th for the best food services in the nation by CAPPEX.

Keller expressed wanting to be even higher than 10th.

“Ten is great, but I have a boss that was in the Olympics,” Keller said, referring to Tom Hill, senior vice president for Student Affairs.

GSB Sen. Adam Daugherty asked what happens with the food that goes unused.

Keller said the small amount of food that goes unused is taken by a local Kiwanis club and delivered to Food at First, a local meal program.

Keller said, however, that catered items can only be served for four hours due to food safety.

Keller also encouraged attendance at the Oct. 10 Food Committee Meeting. The meeting will take place at 6 p.m. in Conversations in Oak-Elm and is open to all students.

In addition to Keller’s presentation t the meeting, two new GSB Supreme Court justices were seated, as well as a senator representing Human Sciences.

Caytlin Hentzel, senior in event management and political science, was unanimously confirmed as chief justice.

Hentzel expressed interest on seeing the judicial branch of students better utilized.

“I definitely plan on trying to put things into play so people know we’re here,” Hentzel said.

Katherine Geneser, senior in political science, was unanimously confirmed as an associate justice.

GSB President Spencer Hughes expressed interest in seating both justices to obtain a quorum in the court. 

He said the remaining three court openings will be filled on later dates.

Laura Alexander, junior in kinesiology and health, was unanimously approved as to fill the open Senate seat for Human Sciences.